What's new

A little advice - linear pattern

Marco-IT

Hi everyone,
I need your advice.

I have this detail built with a rectangle and then cut with a square and repeated 35 times on one side and 28 on the other side.

I have noticed that this particular one is very heavy to handle. Every time I try to make a change I have to wait a long time.

Is there a better way to lighten this detail?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 30

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Large count patterns are always slow - just a lot of work for the system to do.

Last edited:

Latitude

If you mean you're working on other parts and this is slowing you down maybe you can export this as a STEP file and reimport it - might be faster.

If you're working on the pattern maybe you can have two configurations - one where the pattern is only repeated say 5x5 times that you use for development and then another where you repeat it across the whole area which is your actual part.

Marco-IT

I know these operations are a problem with all these 3D programs.

It would be interesting to propose a simplification for these operations: manage repetitions in another way, as if they were only visual.

Latitude, I was thinking the same thing before: I'll try with the configuration.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In some cases using Topology Pattern, rather than Feature Pattern can be much faster, but it doesn't work in every case.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I find that it is often faster to do a small pattern and then a larger pattern of that small pattern.

I have not tried it but for this shape design you might also try making a pattern of a long extrude boss horizontally and another vertically. Making the material a pattern instead of the holes.