What's new

A question regarding tangent planes.

When creating a plane tangent to a cylinder, do you use the reverse function to get the plane on top

• Nearly always, but I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Tangent planes being created below the referenced plane with the normal facing up into the cylindrical face is something I find quite annoying.
These sorts of planes are normally used for positioning features like holes which then require the the hole to be reversed.
Another thing is that when you edit the sketch on the plane later, it opens with the part on top of the sketch. so that X measurements are reversed to the way you would normally look at it, causing then a need to use the reset view function to flip it around to the correct view.
If you create a plane on any other face the normal is always facing out.
I would really like either the plane to be created in the reverse view by default (probably the easiest) or make it so that the normal always points out.

Does it frustrate anyone else?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I use alot of planes tangent to cylindrical faces, parallel to the default planes as well as at at various angles. Normal to me is always working from the outside of the cylinder, looking in, with "normal", to the outside.

With tangent planes, I'm pretty much always cutting from the outside, in.

I find myself using the "reset view" button alot to reset the view so that I'm working as if normal is out, regardless of how the plane actually ends up. Of course, I also have to reverse the direction of the extrude alot.

Hitting "reset view", and flipping the extrude direction has become so common that I rarely notice it anymore.

I agree, it would be a timesaver if normal was always towards the outside of the cylinder. I can't think of any time I've ever needed a planes " normal" to be towards the inside of a cylinder.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
From what I see newly created planes adopt their Normals from the parent. It would be nice if there was a switch to change the normal in some instances.

Tangent Plane Normals.png