Alibre Super User
I remember your post in 2013:
"Do it right first time,
for progress failures are allowed." :)
and take time for fix this:
Best Regards,
GIOV

cgriffin

I came here looking for this feature for designing boat hulls. I've been using Alibre since '02, I think, but not much the past couple years. I was hoping not to need to learn a new package.

Can the sheet metal feature do this? I've got it, but have yet to need it.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I came here looking for this feature for designing boat hulls. I've been using Alibre since '02, I think, but not much the past couple years. I was hoping not to need to learn a new package.

Can the sheet metal feature do this? I've got it, but have yet to need it.
Please elaborate on what feature and what you intend to accomplish.

cgriffin

I want to design a tortured ply boat. So the outer hull skin would be plywood, and it would curve and twist in all three axes based on the shape of the hull frames. (I'm sure they have a formal name...I called them ribs for airplanes...) The shape is not difficult, but getting it projected onto a flat sheet of plywood for cutting, that's what I'm not sure about. How would you "unbend" the plywood so you have a template to cut? (I know if you just project it to a plane it will be too short.)

If the bottom of the boat is not flat, you are unlikely to have any straight, flat lines.
Here is a picture of a simple hull with a bottom and two sides; clearly, the bottom will not be flat when they are joined.
I do not intend something as rudimentary as that, but it is an example. I want to be able to add more compound curves.

Thanks for pointing me in a direction!

Last edited: