What's new

Acer A315 SSD upgrade or newer laptop?

DavidR8

Hi all, my first post here. I'm a new Atom3D user trying to eke the most out of my aging laptop, an Acer with a AMD A6-9220 processor. It has 12 GB RAM but a 1GB HDD (not SSD)
It's what I use to run my CNC router with UCCNC and it's pretty alright.
But with Atom3D it's pretty lethargic. Slow to the point where I have actually wondered what I'm doing wrong in Atom3D when it's just the laptop trying to catch-up to my drawing. The Win10 install is fresh so hopefully not too much slowing it down OS-wise.
I'm considering dropping in a 500GB SSD but wonder if I'm not better off putting the dollars toward an i7 laptop with the same amount of RAM

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
An SSD will help, but with the A6 I suspect the graphics adapter is the biggest limitation. I've finally just replaced my own A6 based Samsung, even with SSD fitted it was quite pedestrian when running Alibre.

You may get some performance improvement by following this guide, and adjusting graphics settings in Atom3D

DavidR8

Thanks @DavidJ
I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a more capable laptop. I have a fully capable desktop but want to have mobile ability as well.