What's new

add a 3d-printer to the dropdownlist

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Here you go, Kim. Overwrite the existing print_processes.xml with the one in the zip. Location: C:\Program Files\3D Systems\Geomagic Design\Program\

I put in all 4 versions; not sure which one you have.

Attachments

• print_processes.zip
    1 KB · Views: 10

Kim

Thankyou very much. Haven't tried it yet (12 hour days atm) will play on the weekend and see if I can get some meaningful pics or a short video.

Kim

Kim

Not sure wht was going on, but I couldn't bring up the forums for a couple of days :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lic0bru6p85yo ... e.wmv?dl=0

The above is a link to a time lapse video of a print I did over the weekend using PVA as support. (note the failure of the wipe tower in the background - need to make it bigger (>15mm) for high prints in the future).

One thing I have found so far is that there are definite design considerations for using dual extrusion support printing. The cost in $ is quite high both in the price of the filament (approx 4x) and in the volume used. I just used the default settings which did the job.

The job in the video used :
7.21 m PLA (57 grams) $ 1.94
11.92 m PVA (93 grams) $20.02

The model is 102 mm high and 100 mm in dia.

IMG_0396.JPG

You can see the defect line where the wipe tower failed. There are several small defects where PVA strings were embeded in the print body and the dissolved out leaving cavities that will need post processing to fill.
otherwise quite happy with it. Lot's more to learn tho.

Kim

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    775.5 KB · Views: 26

bigseb

Alibre Super User
That's pretty good. And yea its quite pricey too. Which brand PLA and PVA did you use?

Kim

bigseb said:
That's pretty good. And yea its quite pricey too. Which brand PLA and PVA did you use?

The PVA is by Ultimaker (the spool that comes with the printer), the price is based on the replacement cost.

The PLA is from Aurarum (Australian producer of filament) $33.?? per 1 kilo spool.

C.A.D.

Anyone have settings for a Prusa MK3 and how to code that into the file BigSeb mentions. I opened up the file with Wordpad and can see the Tractus and Flashforge at the bottom but the rest aside from some of the more obvious items are over my head.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You should have the settings if you have the Prusa Mk3. Adding them is relatively straightforward. Some though are you choosing, eg, overhang, minimum, etc.

C.A.D.

Anyone have settings for a Prusa MK3 and how to code that into the file BigSeb mentions. I opened up the file with Wordpad and can see the Tractus and Flashforge at the bottom but the rest aside from some of the more obvious items are over my head.
I applied the settings for the printer mentioned above. They work great. I put in a ticket on Alibre and they aren't taking much ownership on the saying they are 3D Systems carry over. I suggested and will myself see if I can get some of the values bigseb was unsure about. If I find them I will post here. Thanks to bigseb for posting so many 3d printers values.

trevithick

I know that this thread is two years old now, but I would really like to add my Rigidbot Regular. Build space of 254 x 248 x 254

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Since this feature is no longer part of Alibre I don't update it anymore. However there is guide link to a how-to guide my post above yours.