What's new

Add a version box to the dimension form

albie0803

Alibre Super User
When changes are made to drawings a version number is usually included in a triangle next to the changed dimension.

1656635907442.png

Could a field be added to the dimension box for for a version number.
1656635872072.png
if the box has a value in it then a version symbol will appear at the end of the text
1656636832219.png
make the font size for the symbol text 4-5 points lower than the dimension font size.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The same useful addition could be used for applying a marker that relate to notes on the drawing too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Albie - is that use of version in a triangle next to dimension following a specific standard? If so which one? If it is to a standard, any attempt to provide the capability should fully comply with the standard.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The practice that I have been taught and followed in all my work was to place a Revision Triangle next to any change on the drawing.

One thing that I did when I was using SolidWorks was to make a Revision Triangle that I could insert into the drawing where ever it was required. The Rev Triangle was linked to the drawing revision so it updated automatically when it was placed on the drawing. Since the Revision on the Alibre drawing is only a field on the drawing format and not in its Drawing Properties it may be difficult to do the same in Alibre, unless someone knows how to create a link between the revision field and a note formatted with a triangle frame.

Another issue when creating a new revision of a multi-sheet drawing is that each sheet has to be edited to rev bump the drawing.

I found this during an internet search for drawing revision standards. This is the ASME standard, there is likely also one for ISO.
One thing I noticed is that it requires revisions on the drawing to be in circles, I have been taught and always used triangles as was the practice at my work.

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Inventor uses triangles as well, industry practice seems to be a triangle even though it appears that the standard is a circle, which is odd as part numbers are in circles. I am not personally aware of which standard it is/was, but we regularly see drawings 40-50 years old from customers and revision marks are always triangles. I would recommend sticking with triangles.
I use M-Files which has a revision number and note field which I have mapped to my drawing templates. When I do a revision to a part or assembly, I update the field on saving and the drawing values get updated on refresh.
Putting the number manually into the field I suggested is a simple thing to do, with minimal coding required (I would think). Maybe an added toggle button to switch between a revision or note frame (as commented on by Simon) would be a good idea.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also familiar with use of triangles - if this is codified somewhere, then it makes sense to follow the standard (rather than add a feature only to get complaints later that it isn't standards compliant).

NOTE: I'm not promising this will be added, am just trying to get as complete a definition as possible.

BigKahunaFL

Could it be possible to make the revision marker shape optional, in that the user could select the appropriate shape (be it a circle, triangle, octagon, etc.) that is required by the companies standard or by an institutional standard (i.e. ASME, ANSI, ISO, etc.)? :rolleyes:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The company I worked for has used triangles as a revision symbol far longer than I worked there, even on the old manual drawings. I'm not sure how the practice started, I just followed the convention. If I were to guess, it may have been to distinguish between Balloons and Flag Notes.

I just looked in my DRM and it illustrates the use of circles for the revision symbol.

Could it be possible to make the revision marker shape optional, in that the user could select the appropriate shape

Having the shape optional would be similar to the selections in the Note dialog.