What's new

advanced 3d

HPM

I tried to draw this part, but with my limited knowledge of 3D I was unable to do so. I am sure there are experts who could give me a tip. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (562).png
    Screenshot (562).png
    532.2 KB · Views: 71

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Going by the drawing title, that model was created using surfacing tools. Alibre has very modest surface related capabilities, so a different approach would be needed.

I would model the overall shape as a solid, shell it, then cut the slots.

Not clear to me if the orange coloured panel is a recess, a separate piece or....

Base could be a revolve. Main body (most difficult) a loft with guide curves - getting guide curves right could be tricky.

Others may well have better suggestions....

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
No, it's not a secret. If you have v28 you can down load the model and step thru the DE history to see how I did it. Meanwhile, give me a day and I'll record a video to show the steps it took to complete the model.

It helps if you note your version of Alibre when posting a question. OR just enter it in your forum signature.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Well it took a little while but here it is, warts and all.
Someone may come up with another method of creating the 3D guide curves but the way I demo mimics the SolidWorks projected curve.
You can ignore the text of the DOF legend floating around in some of the scenes while editing a sketch. That's an anomaly with the video that Dev has to check into.
I can turn off DOF colors to get rid of the floating text but I need the colors to ensure fully constrained sketches.

Last edited:

HPM

I have another question: At the end, when the two parts are together, it is still two-colored. I click OK, but then it becomes one color again. What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

• Screenshot (564).png
    Screenshot (564).png
    303.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (565).png
    Screenshot (565).png
    289.6 KB · Views: 6

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you selected Color Properties from the DE icon you should be okay.

color properties.jpg

Alternately you could select Part Color from the ribbon (if you use the ribbon) and you'd get the same dialog.

Reactions: HPM

evandene

Well it took a little while but here it is, warts and all.
Someone may come up with another method of creating the 3D guide curves but the way I demo mimics the SolidWorks projected curve.
You can ignore the text of the DOF legend floating around in some of the scenes while editing a sketch. That's an anomaly with the video that Dev has to check into.
I can turn off DOF colors to get rid of the floating text but I need the colors to ensure fully constrained sketches.

Thank you for this excellent demonstration

beefy

Harold,

finally got around to going through your video.

Just left a thumbs up and a comment on your Youtube channel.

That video is absolutely fantastic, and I've learned some really useful techniques.

Thanks very much indeed.