What's new

Alibre CEO (and others) talk about offshoring

indesign

Alibre Super User

Boy that artical said a whole lot that could have been summed up in around two sentences. :roll:

Alibre did't say much about what they were doing but a generic reply.

scarr

Re: Greg's remarks

Greg was simply 'telling it like it is'. I read someplace, that if your job can be done 'over a wire' (meaning electronically) then it is subject to moving to wherever the labor rate and skill base is most attractive.
Greg refered to this scenario as being Darwinian in nature, which is also simply a matter of fact, but, this type of pressure will force all of us to become better (if not the best) at what we do. It would be nice if we could just bask in the sun (perhaps setting sun) of our technological dominance, but those times ended with the spread of computers and the internet. Now all parts of the world are connected. I often sit in meetings (online conferences) with my counterparts in Europe, South America, and India, with China soon to come on board. They work for the same European based company as I do. They're interested in the same things I'm interested in, earning a living, making life better for themselves, and their families, etc. They are also wonderful people to get to know. Might I loose my job to one of the someday? It's possible. Do I feel threatrened by them? Not at all. Can I learn from them? Absolutely. More in another post...

scarr

They are also wonderful people to get to know. Might I loose my job to one of the someday? It's possible. Do I feel threatrened by them? Not at all. Can I learn from them? Absolutely. I've been able to form freindships that might never have occured ten years ago. To me this has been a very positive experience.
What type of jobs are being offshored? Nearly every type that needs a large, skilled, workforce that earn far less per hour than their counterparts elsewhere. The Japanese auto industry has offshored a lot of manufacturing jobs to the US, as have some European automakers. Why? Because there are places here where people earn far less than their counterparts in those two areas. Does anyone scream and yell about that? I don't live in Japan or Germany, so I don't know. Offshoring will eventually stop when a balance is reached between the developed and developing countries, the balance being measured in real wages and an equitable standard of living. I could wax philosophical here, but I'll end this with this statement. I wouldn't trade my own job security if it meant passing up an opportunity to meet and interact with people like Mibe, and Gaspar, or moyesboy, or any of the other people on this forum who don't happen to be my direct physical neighbors.

Tazman3

Steve, thought I agree it is a great learning experience I think you may be missing the point. How would you feel if your company handed you an ultimatum...telling you that they were moving the company to another county, and you either had to uproot your family and go, or be layed off. Not to mention that the jobs that were once there for your friends and family will be gone...and so it goes.

It is bad enough we let foreign doctors come into our country, live completely tax free, pay for some of their education...just so they can charge us exhorberent(sp?) prices. So bad in some instances, the insurance companies stick you with the difference.

So though I might say it is nice to get to know, and work with folks from another county...it isn't fun when a company, because of the bottom line and for greed of profits...takes your job away.

Just my opinion...
Taz

EDIT: After some though, I thought it important to make something clear about my post above...it is the "thought" that companies founded in America, forged here...given money by our government and bank...would take their business elsewhere. I suppose it is the pricipal of it all that bothers me. I do agree that there can come a balance eventually...but what about "Bob and his family" who don't even have insurance now...what is he going to do? Especially if he is a good guy, who doesn't believe in "living off the government" that so many of Americans do today, and have no intention of working.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Ok,

I've been following this thread but hadn't found time to reply.

Viewed from the other side of the border, where a lot of the jobs come from companies forged in the US (as Tazman puts it), I'm glad we are able to offer our skills at a competitive price tag because for reasons that elude me, we have not developed any of the goods and technologies we use in our every day life (PCs, cars, trains, electronics... it goes on forever). If we want any of that, so our standard of living is good, we have to trade it for competitive labor skills.

I think that the trade off for the US is that you are getting a lot of "made in Mexico" products at a better price than if they were made in the US. Take Delphi, who recently embraced chapter 11 in the US because of labor prices while their many plants in Mexico are profitable.

If all of these companies went back into the US, it would surely mean they would have to lower wages in order to survive and for us it would pretty much be returning to the stone age.

Independently of past history, that brought the world to this point, I beleive that borders are only a measure of how incapable we are of organizing our selves as a single human race. I beleive in a borderless world. Countries are so good when the olimpics or the soccer world cup are around, but when it comes to spliting our planet around, they surely seem like a bad idea to my eyes.

Things like the European Union or the World Wide Web exite me because they are sympthoms of a better society. I appreciate Steve's words for foreigners sharing this community, which is one of the best examples of how globalization brings people together.

Is all of this fair? I mean, that jobs can jump around the globe at the turn of the tide? I just think that if each of us is more productive, if each of us makes more in a day, then colectively there will be more goods and services to enjoy by all, and for this end, technology and communication enhacements like the ever more amazing WWW are nothing but good. As long as wages are not sub-standard like I hear happens in China, I think this will all come to a good balance.

Thanks again Steve for your kind words. I enjoy being a part of this community as much as you can imagine :D

PS: Since most of us are into manufacturing, we are all affected by globalization, so I think that even if this discussion is heading away from an strictly Alibre subject, it may be interesting to others.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I think free and trade is good, as long as it is fair (China does not play fair). This Alibre community is a very good example of a borderless world and it works very well. In my business, I appreciate being able to work with folks from all over the globe, and I feel that I can compete as well as collaborate on a global level. The reason that I can compete is due to my abilities, but mainly due to having the opportunity to start a business on a low budget (thank you Alibre, again).