What's new

ZDB PDM for Alibre Design and Atom3D

cadtec

Hello,

January 17, 2024: New release, download here:
Download: ZDB PDM for Alibre Design and Atom3D...

First things first: your existing folder structure will NOT be touched.

Everything remains as it is! The ZDB drawing management for Alibre Design EXP, PRO and Atom3D automatically reads the drawings into a fast SQLite database and also works without an Alibre licence (e.g. in Production planing).
With ZDB Alibre Drawing Management, you import all information from your drawing inventory into a superfast SQLite database. Individual Alibre files or directories with subdirectories can be imported fully automatically. All General Properties, Standard Properties AND Custom Properties are considered and imported cleanly into the database. This gives you the possibility to search for all contents within all Alibre files. Furthermore, information is displayed where a certain component has been used or where a 2D drawing of it already exists.
Another interesting feature is the option to sort by files with high activity. This means that the list of all files can be sorted according to the number of save operations. This gives you a good overview of which components and projects are being worked on and how much, especially in a multi-user environment.

New Functions (January 17, 2024)
  1. Improvements in the optimization of subquery columns
  2. Fixes for reading over the end of memory buffers and other specific situations and improvements in the query optimizer
  3. Improvements to the query planner, new functions and security improvements
  4. Improvements in handling SQL functions that could break and other bug fixes.
  5. Fixes for a performance regression in the Query Planner and application of fixes for various security issues
  6. Fixes for incorrect results for certain queries and other issues
  7. Fixes for memory leaks.
New Functions (January 05, 2024)
  1. Evaluation of files with high activity added by popular request. Can be found in the DB Viewer in the last column labeled Count.
  2. Already running with Alibre Design V27 SP Buid 27039
  3. Some internal optimizations made.
New Functions (July 21, 2023)
  1. The setup programme now has a valid certificate.
  2. Already running with Alibre Design V27
New Functions (January 26, 2023)
  1. ZDBViewer.exe can now be run with a search term as a parameter.
    We will soon make an Alibre script available here that searches for a loaded Alibre file in the drawing database.
    This will show you whether a 2D drawing of this file already exists or where it has been used.
  2. Update to the latest sqlite3.dll (3.40.1.)
  3. Also, available as a ZIP file for portable installations or simple updates.

New Functions (January 12, 2023)
  1. The drop-down list with the file types had a malfunction, which is now fixed.
  2. In addition, an additional sorting function was implemented for the DataGrid:
    ZDB-Sort.jpg
  3. A few optimizations. Among other things, a field type in the DB is optimized from DATETIME to VARCHAR.

New Functions (January 05, 2023)
  • Works with the latest version 26 of Alibre Design Expert, Professional and Atom3D.
  • Some internal functions optimised.
New Functions (February 22, 2022)
  • Empty files with 0 bytes are automatically sorted out.

New Functions (November 24, 2021)
  • Now also works with Alibre Design and Atom3D V23 and V24.

New Functions (March 15, 2021)
  1. All ZDB modules are now bilingual (English and German) the language is automatically detected and the modules start in the set Windows language.
  2. A separate, additional data field for private data has been implemented in the viewer. There you can save an additional note while browsing the records and search for it later.
  3. ZDBImport.exe and ZDBConstituents.exe can now run simultaneously in the background without causing a write conflict in the database.
  4. A new limit field has been added to the display of records, especially in the live search. This means that the records found are displayed more quickly, which is particularly advantageous in the case of a huge database.
  5. Other small bugs have been eliminated.

New Function (February 24, 2021)
  1. As of this release, you can add additional files to the current file selected in the ZDB viewer. These can be added with drag & drop or directory by directory. This gives you an overview of all files that are in a correlation with a specific project and a specific file.
  2. Furthermore, we have created a launcher that combines all ZDB apps in one interface. There you can, among other things, enter ZDB-Import and ZDB-Constituents into the task planner with one click.
  3. The BOM Viewer is now also part of the ZDB apps.
  4. Fixed some bugs. (among other things incorrect file names at Constituents.exe)
  5. Alternatively, the ZDB-Apps can be installed with an installer.
  6. Best of all, all apps are free and portable :).

New function (January 22, 2021)

1. All assemblies are listed where a certain component has been installed.
  2. Furthermore, all 2D drawings of a certain component or assembly are listed where there is a 2D derivative of it.
  3. The print function has been released (even without sponsoring).
  4. Sponsoring is now voluntary.
  5. Various bug fixes.

With the ZDB-Apps you import all information from your drawing inventory into a super fast SQLite database. Individual Alibre files or directories with subdirectories can be imported fully automatically. All General Properties, Standard Properties AND Custom Properties are considered and imported cleanly into the database. This gives you the possibility to search for all contents within all Alibre files. More informations you find here...

Download here...

Feedback is always welcome.

Best regards,
CADTEC SWITZERLAND GMBH

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Andre, what does

"The sponsored version can also print from an amount of 30.-!" mean ??

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a quick play with it - imported records from a local folder and a network folder.

One or two labels in English version remain in German, not a major issue.

In viewer, only way to tell quickly if file is part/drawing/smp/BoM is to select it to show full file name, or to put desired object type in search.

After searching in viewer, first click in results window switches focus to the window - needs another click to actually select the file. Would be nice if that could happen in one click.

'Open in AD' button works fine - an enhancement would be a 'show in folder' button. Useful if you've found a file that is part of a known project, and you want to look at other things in that folder.

It seems a useful tool, I can definitely see some benefit.

I guess it would be much more difficult to make it possible to add/edit information in the files... that would be very handy. This utility already shows me where I've omitted a piece of information from one or more files amongst a collection (as long as there is still some common way to find the files).

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Having trouble getting the AUTOSTART (or START as it is referred to in the readme) to work.

I eventually got it to launch the interface, but nothing happened. And no Update or Refresh option . Maybe more detail is needed in the instructions.

sp1234_De

Hello,
thanks for providing the Tool, will be a good help to keep organized.
Glitches food during first Test:
1.) Window of ZDBImport.exe opens full screen, Titlebar and Buttons (cross to close, minimize, mximize) are not shown on a Surface Book screen with 3000x2000 resolution. To close the App the taskbar RMB "close Window" must be used.ZDBViewer.exe is fine.
2.) When Viewer list the found files in the list, the first entry /line in the list can be selected but the command "load selecte file ino Alibre" will answer with "Please select a line in the list first"... works fine with all other lines in the list.
3.) Somehow misleading in Viewer is, that you can edit the Detail fileds for the selected file... but this is not stored , which is not necessary from my pov. Would be best to disable the edit in these fields.
4.) do not want to be picky but... It is great that in Viewer in the list with the fiound files the Sequence of Columns/ Fields can be rearranged. But after close and reopen the rearrangement is gone.

Anything else is perfect!
Thanks again and Grüße
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Too bad I don't understand German 'cuz CADTEC seems to have a lot of good information on their website. Looks like there is a hardcover training book, and from their online Help, a PDF version of it and some good training videos that could do with closed captions in English especially this one. The question of embossed text on curved surfaces has come up on several occasions and it seems like this video has an answer.

cadtec

Hello all

We have made a new release and implemented almost all your suggestions and fixed some bugs we found.
You can download the new ZIP file under the existing link as in the top (1st) post.

@david: Thanks a lot for testing!
- :) From USD 30.- , EUR 30.- or CHF 30.- you can freely position any data field in the viewer based on a freely definable HTML file and print out a complete overview of all data fields. Please read the help for "Customize print template".
- German labels fixed
- Added selection box for file extension.
- First click in the list is now triggered the first time.
- Show in Folder opens the directory and selects the desired file.
- Write back of data fields may come in one of the next versions.
- Pardon, "AUTOSTART" is wrong. Correct would be "AUTO". Should work as described in the help.

@Stefan: Merci for testing as well!
- 1.) Sorry, I can't test that here because I don't have a screen with such a high resolution.
- 2.) The First line can now be selected.
- 3.) All fields are now read-only. (Write-back of data fields may come in one of the next versions).
- 4.) This is a big act within the program structure and will have to wait for now.... Sorry :)

@HaroldL: Thanks for the positive feedback!

As this is a brand-new program (4 weeks old) there might still be bugs we haven't found yet.
Therefore, please keep us informed if someone finds something.

Best regards,
David, Daniel, Sven and André

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
With new version, viewer works fine. Fixes tested so far seem good.

BUT when running ZDBImport - it complains that ZDB.ini was not found - but it's there and works for the viewer...

cadtec

We have just uploaded a new release with "Where used?". This shows you where a certain Part has been used in an assembly. Furthermore, it also works with 2D drawings. If you now want to know whether a 2D drawing of a certain component/assembly already exists, this is now possible. In addition, sponsoring is voluntary and the print function is available to everyone.

Please use the download link in the first post.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
New version seems to work OK (ZDBImport still displays 'Wert' ).

Constituents seems to work - presumably this also needs to be scheduled ?

evandene

Hello,

22.01.2021: New version available: Drawing Database for Alibre Design and Atom3D

New function "Where used?
- All assemblies are listed where a certain component has been installed.
- Furthermore, all 2D drawings of a certain component or assembly are listed where there is a 2D derivative of it.
Miscellaneous
- The print function has been released (even without sponsoring).
- Sponsoring is now voluntary.
- Various bug fixes.

With Alibre Data to SQLite you import all information from your drawing inventory into a super fast SQLite database. Individual Alibre files or directories with subdirectories can be imported fully automatically. All General Properties, Standard Properties AND Custom Properties are considered and imported cleanly into the database. This gives you the possibility to search for all contents within all Alibre files. More informations you find here...

You find also a Readme.txt inside the ZIP.

Best regards,
CADTEC SWITZERLAND GMBH

I really would like to try this Drawing Database but or I'm to stupid or it's simple not clear how to get this program. Following a link in the description didn't help.
Could someone help me out here?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Following the first link should lead to your browser offering to download a zip file - you'll have to agree and decide where to save it.

Right click the downloaded zip file, and 'Extract All' to the folder where you decide it should live - after that you'll need to right click each of the .exe files and check 'unblock'.

You should then be able to double click any of the exe files to get it to run - there is no installation process to go through.

evandene

Following the first link should lead to your browser offering to download a zip file - you'll have to agree and decide where to save it.

Right click the downloaded zip file, and 'Extract All' to the folder where you decide it should live - after that you'll need to right click each of the .exe files and check 'unblock'.

You should then be able to double click any of the exe files to get it to run - there is no installation process to go through.

Nop, I did indeed followed the link but nothing started to download. I tried it again a minute ago but without result.
I don't understand this

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like an issue with your browser or security software. I just tried it again myself - download was offered.

evandene

All okay now,
Thanks

cadtec

Hello all, we have made an update and combined everything into a new Launcher.exe. However, if you want, you can still call the individual modules separately. The launcher enables the automatic insertion of ZDBImport.exe and ZDBConstituents.exe into the task manager, so that they are regularly called in the background and always keep the database up to date.

Furthermore, a new module ZDBCorrelations.exe was added, with which you can additionally determine whether and which files are related to each other.

Some bugs have been fixed.

Feedback is always welcome.

Please use the download link in the first post.

sz0k30

Just curious? What exactly is all this? What is SQLite? Who or what is ZDB? Is it owned by Alibre? Is it part of Alibre? Is it the database package that many users have been clamoring for? Is it a totally separate company? I it designed specifically for Alibre? Cadtec, I see you are a Alibre member and your avatar is on the box?