What's new

Alibre Design API == Alibre Xpress API?

alexfranke

Alibre Design API == Alibre Xpress API?

Hi all,

I "converted" to Alibre a few weeks ago, and as a software engineer I was immediately compelled to tinker with the API and write an app that would make one aspect of modeling for my hobby (woodworking) easier. So I wrote a "Dovetail Jig" to greatly simplify the modeling of dovetail joints. (If there's interest in this specifically, I included a link to the tutorial and download information at the bottom of this post.)

What I'm wondering about here is an assumption that I made: Is it safe to assume that an app written to the Alibre API that works fine with Alibre Xpress should also work fine with Alibre Design? From what I've read here I'd say "yes" but I'm interested if anyone knows for sure...

Thanks,
Alex

Oh -- the app and tutorial I mentioned above can be found here:
http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/DovetailJig

(Pardon the incomplete website. I'm in the middle of moving a bunch of stuff to its new home at that domain and with a toddler in the house, free time is pretty limited! =)

rbrian

Re: Alibre Design API == Alibre Xpress API?

alexfranke said:
Oh -- the app and tutorial I mentioned above can be found here: http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/DovetailJig

... There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't....
Alex - looks like a good tutorial page! One Request - Can you add a pic of the icon you used for the API in it?

BTW I know enough binary to get the tag line joke - but not sure I know enough to go play with MS .net 2.0 or even 1.1 at this point! Also - trying to learn AMP web page / site building currently (Appache/MySQL/Php). Robert

alexfranke

Thanks, Robert. I'm not sure I understand which icon you're referring to. I made a little dovetail icon for the app after I took those screenshots, but the icon in the screenshots is just the standard "new application" icon that you get when you start a Visual Studio project. Or am I missing the boat completely here?

I definitely recommend looking into .Net 2.0 -- they've made a lot of stuff much easier to use -- much better than MFC and the Windows API.

Cheers,
Alex

alexfranke

To answer my own question, it appears there is only one API, and that it works equally well for Alibre Xpress as it does for Alibre Design.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Alex,

There is a woodworking thread in the Xpress forum that you should post some of your API programs to.

There are a lot of hungry (for tools) people in that forum but you will have to sign up as a differnet user on the Xpress forum.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
Register both forums with same name

You can register in the Alibre forum and the Xpress forum with the same username (if you are lucky enough to be the first in each forum).

This saves me a lot of time.

There are not too many woodworks yet who have found Alibre Xpress, but I am sure that will change. With Xpress, Alibre is also available to the many woodworking hobbyists who can not afford the expensive specialized woodworking software. There are also a lot of Engineers that find woodworking a creative outlet for their design skills (that was my start).