What's new

Alibre Design & FreeCad

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Great video, it highlights a number of usability issues and confusions caused by non-intuative Ui behaviour and expected user assumptions though. I really hope Max and the Alibre team have seen this!

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I really hope Max and the Alibre team have seen this!
They should have, the video was posted on the Alibre Facebook page.

Kudos for JOKO for attempting to create the wheel rim without first looking at any of the tutorials or reading what there is of a User Manual. I watched a few minutes of the video and had to stop before I started to yell instructions and hints at the computer monitor.

Ydl

That lack of auto constraints on pattern and the single intersection per fillet hit me right in the feels.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
That lack of auto constraints on pattern and the single intersection per fillet hit me right in the feels.
+1, both would be great features.

Although, knowing the application, I would have done the holes as a hole feature and feature pattern to maintain that inherited control of size and placement, etc! Didn't stop me shouting at the screen though and as per my previous comment, it shows what people intuitively expect to happen versus what it actually does. Definitely room for improvement, beautifully demonstrated.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I would have done the holes as a hole feature and feature pattern to maintain that inherited control of size and placement, etc!
I've seen some of JOKO's FreeCad tutorials on YouTube and he has a habit of putting a lot of stuff in the base sketch, like part profile, holes, etc. That may be the way he was taught but it does make the sketch way too complicated. And the lack of copying constraints in sketch patterns is something that should be addressed. Maybe after we get all the fancy display issues sorted out something might be done with sketch patterns.

KeithH

Here is an intereting tutorial from JOKO ENGINEERING
I like Him. This video showed up on my feed He’s a really good teacher. He makes u feel like he’s just like u, if that makes sense (rare in this field) . Yep I subscribed to him after that video and learned a lot from him. Ten thumbs up (he also did a cylinder head series. I finished the 2nd part this week. )