What's new

Alibre launcher

jreynolds

Alibre launcher

Does anyone other than me have with the dreaded dialog coming up that says, "Alibre Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If you have had this problem, can you tell me how to solve it. It seems as if I lose at least 45 minutes to an hour each day because of it.

Alibre launcher error

Jim,

I was looking at the latest posts and noticed your post regarding the Alibre Launcher error. I looked through our incident database and noticed that there were a couple of other instances of this. In these instances it seems there was a dll missing.

Can you please search your hard drive for the following file:

Templates.dll

Also, can you tell me what Alibre Design operations you are performing when it happens?

Thanks and I hope you're doing well,
Camey

jreynolds

Alibre Launcher

Camey,
It always seems to happen when I start to print a drawing. I don't remember it happening when I am in model space.

Cameraman

I've had perhaps 6 or 8 of those "crashes" as well, and I've documented most of the information that I have in a thread called "Crashes A Lot" in the Using Alibre section (don't get the wrong idea -- I didn't name the thread).

I have noticed no common action that causes it, and it always takes down the Albre Launcher, even though I have generally issued the "offending" command from another window. It has happened at least once when I was printing, at least once when I opened another part, and a few times when I started working on a model after being away from it for a while. It seems to occur more often as models become more complex, but again I don't have any objective data to support that feeling.

It doesn't happen often enough to warrant making a big deal out of it, so I am just living with it for now . . . and FWIW, I do have templates.dll on my machine . . .

Regards,
Greg

jreynolds

Alibre Launcher

Camey, I do have a templates.dll in the Alibre folder. Keeping count, I just received the 5 one of those errors since lunch.

Alibre launcher error

Jim and Greg,

When did this first start occurring? I looked through the incident database to see if I could find a report on this for either of you, but haven't found anything. Do you recall this happening after some event - installation of software or driver or after a windows update or anything like that. Or has this been going on since you started with the product?

Thanks,
Camey

Greg, I'll look at your posts too.

jreynolds

Alibre Launcher

Camey, it has been happening for some time now. I had it happen every once in a while, but now it is upwards of 8 to 10 times a day. I don't remember anything unusual happening that might have caused it to start occuring so regularly.

Alibre launcher error

Thanks, Jim.

Okay, let's do some troubleshooting. :)

This error message should look someting like this, right?

error.gif

Please click on "CLICK HERE" to view the details of this report. This should show the area where the problem is occurring. Please copy the text so that I can review it.

Also, please let me know exactly what OS you are running and what service packs you have installed.

Next, I need to know what the contents of your c:\\program files\\Alibre Design and c:\\program files\\Alibre Design\\program look like. You can either take a snapshot of these, or you can output the names to a text file.
-To take a snapshot of these folders - Open windows explorer and set the view to details so that you can see the name and file size. Then press Alt + PrintScreen and paste it into an email to me.
-To output the names to a file - open a command prompt and type the following:

c:
cd \\(backslash)
cd Program Files\\Alibre Design
dir >c:\\ad.txt
cd program
dir >c:\\adp.txt

Then either email the results (found in c:\\ad.txt and c:\\adp.txt) to me or post them to this topic.

My email address is cameyp@alibre.com

Thanks,
Camey

jreynolds

Alibre Launcher

Camey, I'll get that information the next time I receive that dialog. I am going to have to leave for the afternoon but I'll do that tomorrow.
Thanks,

Cameraman

Hi Camey,

It's obvious that my problems aren't nearly as bad as Jim's. I haven't had it happen for a number of days now (well, there I went and said it . . .) -- most likely because I have not been using the software very much lately -- and in any case I have never had it happen more than a couple times in the same day. But I will capture all of the information you requested the next time it happens.

As far as not seeing anything in your incident database for me, I assume that there is a formal process whereby I am supposed to report these happenings, and I further assume that instructions for doing so are provided somewhere in the software documentation. I will look for those instructions and try to be a good team player henceforth . . .

Regards,
Greg :D

swertel

Alibre Super User

I don't know if it is in the documentation, but there are two formal channels I'm aware of.

The first is to contact the Alibre Assistant and tell them of your woes.

The second, and probably better suited for this type of problem, is to go to the support page on the Alibre website and issue a new incident explaining your crashing.

Either way, an IR will be logged and tracked "formally" in the system.

Alibre launcher error update

We have been working off-forum on this issue. It seems that in several occassions templates.dll is either missing or corrupted. Replacing the dll's appears to have resolved these launcher errors. So if you are encountering this error frequently, please contact Alibre Custom Support and reference this forum topic, or email me at cameyp@alibre.com. After replacing Jim's templates.dll he has been able to work consistently, thus far without the error.

Templates.dll has been zipped and is available in the Binaries forum.