What's new

Alibre low cost version

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see that this is progressing! Anything known about a release date already?

Mid month-ish.

For them (us), being able to import and modify STL files in a CAD program is a great feature.
Just to reiterate mesh support (import) is being discontinued for the time being in 2018.1 (this upcoming version) until we find a replacement component.

Also, is the "analyze" option removed from the 2d sketch menu? This seems like a requirement - it can be impossible sometimes to find errors when there are minuscule gaps or overlaps.
We've removed the button, but the auto-analyze still occurs. So, if there is an issue, it will be caught and the user will be taken back into Sketch directly into the Analyze Sketch tool.

Ydl

Mid month-ish.

Just to reiterate mesh support (import) is being discontinued for the time being in 2018.1 (this upcoming version) until we find a replacement component.

Is there any kind of realistic timeframe for when we can expect mesh import functionality to return?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
[aside]
Little aside here but I would still like auto-analyse to happen on the fly and show visibly by filling the correct sketch with a colour. ProDesktop did this nearly 10yrs ago and you knew instantly whether a sketch was correct, line by line, action by action. It would be a great addition.
[/aside]

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
...I would still like auto-analyse to happen on the fly and show visibly by filling the correct sketch with a colour.
This is possible now if you turn on Automatically analyze sketch in the System Options>Parts/Assemblies. If an error is detected the Analyze tool is activated for further investigation of the sketch.

checksketch.png

Mika

Link is working already...but. How about feature comparison table, upgrade price from Cubify etc.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, I just made that live a few minutes ago. More to come over the next day or so! It's not actually launched yet, so we're in soft launch territory re: the website. Good thing you didn't check 5 min earlier, the entire website was broken (lol) ( :( ).

simonb65

Alibre Super User
www.alibre.com/release-history details the upcoming release. The new product link is not yet functional. Should drop next week.
With Alibre Scripts, will it be possible to load and run a script via the API? i.e. run multiple scripts that already do specific tasks from an existing API based automation add-on or external application. I thinking the ability to 'do stuff' using an add-on (value add framework), but allow the user to customise the 'stuff' it does through the flexibility of calling a specific standard script (customisation)!?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
With Alibre Scripts, will it be possible to load and run a script via the API? i.e. run multiple scripts that already do specific tasks from an existing API based automation add-on or external application. I thinking the ability to 'do stuff' using an add-on (value add framework), but allow the user to customise the 'stuff' it does through the flexibility of calling a specific standard script (customisation)!?

Checking on that for you.

dammerel

Max, here in Australia we always get "ripped off" with pricing
Would you consider an internet pay option (Paypal or equiv) similar to Viacad etc..
Andrew

I would still like to see an online payment option, exchange rates, tax and markups add to the cost quite significantly
I can understand with high cost supported products. Anyhow just something to think about

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I would still like to see an online payment option
+1.

I think this would be a great option if the user only wanted to purchase a license key for the current major version (and earlier) and not allow an auto upgrade the the next major release, which would still require a 12 month active maintenance to do so. Some licenses carry a 1 to 3 month grace period for bug fixes and auto rollover to the next version if the purchase was just prior to another major release (to stop people holding back and causing sales figure to drop!).

I use a lot of applications and compilers that work with this model which are all through online sales. Some users don't use support, but are happy to take the application as is and pay for it as and when it changes. Online sales are perfect for this and offer the users more competitive and manageable pricing options.

Without fear of upsetting anyone ... who really wants to unnecessarily pay for a middle man who offers little or nothing at all!?

Simon W

+11
When I mentioned this on Facebook, I got a reply with the following link:
https://www.alibre.com/product/alibre-atom3d/
It would be nice to see the 'Buy Alibre Atom3D' button (at https://www.alibre.com/atom3d/) redirect to this page instead of regional re-sellers.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth updating?
I bought Alibre Design PE (incl. adv. Import/Export) just as it transitioned to Geotragic and then the toyishly named 'Cubify'
If there's not anything drastically different I think I'll hold onto the cash.

Last edited:

aptivaboy

Has the filet-mirror function been upgraded? Often, when I try to mirror a filet or a chamfer, my existing copy of Alibre just can't handle it.

Also, can Atom import STEP? I can see that it can export to it, but can it import STEP?

Thank you!

Last edited:

aptivaboy

Oh, one last thing. Can Atom open files written in older versions of Alibre/Geomagic? Can those versions open Atom files?

Thank you!!!