What's new

Alibre on MS Office/Open Office/ and ?????

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
The Alibre API is running well under Office VBA.
The implication is that it will also interact well with any application that has an "object library" interface.
I've been out of the business too long and to busy to bother with all of the "jargon" but anyone who has ever balked at the deficiencies of Alibre may have an easy alternative.

I understand that many power users are keen on their C, C++, Vb.net, Power Poop, and other software compilers, but who needs the cost and headaches.

Here is why I will try to scope out Excel and post up a nice "Project Helper" that can be used and updated by anyone who wants to download it;
.with Excel (Word, Outlook or any office product you prefer) you have a reasonable "carrier" for project management and utilities.
.in Office VBA the emphasis is on coding a solution, not trying to work out ephemeral compatibility problems or form layouts.
.All the personal utilities developed or used can persist with their data in the multiple tabs and modules on a single spreadsheet.
.If you want the forms and buttons you get in compiled applications they are right there in VBA.
.The "object library" has potential to interface with many other "Objects"
.Development/programming is a lot easier and just as effective.
.Sharing - a posted utility can have the "tab" and related modules copied into a "utilities" spreadsheet - centralizing "programs" and minimizing maintenance.

Which brings me to an important point - don't accept a utility that is password protected without a compelling reason (contractual or reputable contact) - "candy from strangers".
No point in hidden code for this anyway.

I say "Excel" but a brief glance at open office implies it will work with its object manager. When I'm comfortable with my "Project Helper" in Excel I will be glad to install OO and give it a whirl.

In the meantime I only have one big lingering question.
Can Excel be used as a tightly integrated Alibre add-on?
A "best case" scenario is starting this work with the best integration to begin with.
Part of the stated procedure is providing a .DLL. It would mean a lot if Alibre or someone could clarify the possibility.
Open Office stands a better chance and I will look to it as well.

The published "API Hierarchy" sheet is a start, but I think a more useful reference would be great if possible.
I like clarity and usefulness so I hope to design and post a hierarchy form (a start anyway) that others can help flesh out.

As for any spreadsheets, code techniques or style I use, that is what I do to keep it as simple and clear for my own use as possible.
What I post is organized for my needs, a starting point, not a polished product or application.

My focus will be on assembly and part files. The API interface permits a lot more with code for sketches and such.
Maybe someone can make suggestions or their own posts with useful requests in those areas.

This is an example of my start;

1. Selecting equation configurations/names and pressing "Post" will apply the selected values with intermediate pause.
2. "List all Equations and values" will do just that.
This "spreadsheet" tab is standalone or generated from an assembly. To use with any part, "copy" the tab and change the path and names.

Sorting and filtering are a click away. The "code" just selects the area and activates filtering, then Excel uses its built in features - that's my kind of solution :) .

I will work up my own (optional) menu system and conceal row and column references.
The development ribbons and menus get in the way of pure productivity and the way I do it they can be flipped back on.
It will not be without minor risk of losing custom menu settings but that is another stoory and minor risk for me.
I'll try to keep them stored safely.
If you get a copy to adapt you don't have to use what you don't like.

I want to polish up this helper enough for others to adapt for their use. It will mostly reflect my workflow.
If you want to throw a few ideas out, do a "mockup" on an Excel spreadsheet and I or someone may pick it up.
The point is easier ways for you or I to whip out one-of solutions and standards for personal or professional needs.

That said, I think the users can create solutions this way that are as worthy of ooh's and ah's as a well engineered CAD project.

Attachments

• project helper filter sort.jpg
    project helper filter sort.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 62
  • project helper 1, 2.jpg
    project helper 1, 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 87