What's new

Alibre Script - script requests

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, we're gearing up to make some cool stuff for you. Help us out!

This is a place to post requests for full scripts you would like to see in Alibre Design.
- e.g. "I want a script that exports every component in an assembly as a STL file"

This is not a place to post requests for functionality improvements to Alibre Script itself.
- e.g. "I want Alibre Script to add a function to support the creation of elipses in a 2D drawing"

When you suggest a script, please use the following format and think through some of the details:

Name: Assembly component exporter
What it does: The user opens an assembly and the script finds each component and exports it to the selected format.
Things it should consider:
  1. It should have an option to treat patterns and duplicate insertions as a single exported file or as multiple exported files (wheel.ad_prt versus wheel1, wheel2, wheel3, wheel4).
  2. It should have an option to reset the origin of the exported file at the component's center of mass prior to export.
  3. It should have an option to place each component in its own folder, in the same folder, or in a folder structure similar to the assembly structure.
  4. It should allow picking more than one file type so for example wheel.ad_prt is exported to STEP, IGES, and STL simultaneously.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I don't use scripts in AD right now so maybe this is way off base, but I'd like a utility that would take a collection of 4 wall, and an optional top or bottom and insert tabs and slots in any adjacent edges that would create box finger joints in each piece. Something like this:

upload_2018-10-9_19-22-38.jpeg

If this is sort of thing is what you had in mind as a request, I can go into more details.

On edit

I'll try to expound on this in the next day or two with further edits to this post.

On further edit

Maybe this PDF will explain the feature I'm asking about. As some of you may know it is from a different CAD program and it saves me a ton of time on these sorts of simple projects.

Attachments

• FeatureScript Laser Joint Info.pdf
    850.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, please elaborate (pls do so in the original post by Editing it). Also, consider whether you need to start with 4 walls, or if you could input the dimensions of the overall item and have all the parts generated from scratch by the script. That would perhaps be easier, but would be less generally useful maybe.

domcm

In keeping with the woodworking theme, how about scripts for pockets holes and dovetails. See videos below. Sorry this is for another CAD package but these would be great scripts for Alibre.

Pocket Holes
pockethole.jpg

Dovetails
dovetail.jpg

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Shaft Keyway Generator
Have keyway data loaded in the script and have the script ask:
1. Is key square or rectangular?
2. Select cylinder to insert key into. Read cylinder diameter to select appropriate key size.
3. Select plane to build key plane from.
4. Select edge and specify distance from it.
5. Enter keyway length and up cut distance if required.

Keyway profile is created and cut to data depth and radius applied

upload_2018-10-10_14-54-8.pngupload_2018-10-10_14-54-45.pngupload_2018-10-10_14-55-20.pngupload_2018-10-10_14-58-29.pngupload_2018-10-10_14-59-16.pngupload_2018-10-10_15-7-22.png

Also, here is an (Excel format) spreadsheet that may make your life somewhat easier.

Attachments

• ASME Keyseat (Inch) Design.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 23

MarcusWolschon

• "I want a script that exports every component in an assembly as a STL file" ;)
  • +1 for pocket holes and dovetails
  • I want a script to add a functional (non-cosmetic) standard-thread onto a hole or shaft.
  • I want a script to add a NEMAxy motor mounting point onto a plane. (with constraints between the geometric items in the sketch, so the entire mount can be moved and rotated based on manually added dimensions and constraints).
  • I want a script to add cosmetic standard bolts as new assembly-parts for 2 selected, matching holes in an assembly. (So I only have to design the holes and not design and constraint every single bolt.)
  • I want a script to offset a projected curve by a given distance along the surface normals of the curve elements. (some math required)

Hope to have as a feature one day, but modeled threads, internal and external. Especially handy when 3D printing certain prototypes....:)
Please be aware that few "3D Printers" can hold ±.004 inch and UNF Class 3 threads have a nominal allowance that is .00075 inch per inch of Major Diameter.

Rob2beans

Name: Divide Spline to Polyline

What is does: The script opens an input for the number of equal divisions to split a spline up, upon input the spline is split in x number of divisions and each divided space is now connected with a line and the spline is made into a reference line. At the end you are left with a representation of the spline except now it is a polyline.

1. User able to input number of divisions

2. If possible, not only have equal spacing for divisions but an option for exponential spacing, linear spacing, spacing to the nth degree visualized with a graph?

3. Preview of the new polyline

nvanlaar

Name: DXF for laser
What it does: Outputs a DXF or DWG file containing the flatshot of a flat pattern for use in a cnc laser/plasma/waterjet.
There should be an input for kerf width and perhaps put the original and the kerf outline on different layers. Also, inside/outside cuts need to be taken into consideration. Something like this:
https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=7634902334100976871&appLang=en&os=Win64

Last edited:

auburncad

It's not that difficult to model cosmetic threads, either internal or external, right now.
Its not that simple compared to other CAD software, such as Fusion360, that make it very easy to implement as a simple feature tool. I think it would be a plus for Alibre all around. If Alibre is to compete with modern CAD, it needs to inovate as well.

ScruffyCAD

How about a script to set part or assembly properties (Part Data) with defaults. Like "Created By: Me", or "Creating Application: Alibre Design Expert" etc... :) I see there is an API for doing such a thing (ADExtendedDesignProperty) so is this possible from a script?

Thank you for listening/reading,

Rick

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to be able to generate a script from an existing part...
Please elaborate, I'm not sure what this means. Provide as much detail as possible on what the script would do, how it would be used, where it would get its data, the user interface considerations you might want, etc.

JJHawg

I want to right click in the part explorer just like I would do to create a drawing, but I want a script to be generated that would create that part. I can then edit the script to parameterize selected values to create new parts, but I would not need to write my own script from scratch.