What's new

Alibre Script - script requests

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Does the tooth form need to be accurate or just eye candy?
Albie, I only commented because the rack appeared to have straight teeth at the angle the image was taken and would crash with the pinion. But since I am recovering from eye surgery I had to look at it again with my good eye.:)

What do you want Lew? Full physics contact simulation?
Hi Nate -- If you go back far enough you will find that I kept asking for not only a "ratio of revolution" Constraint, but also an "initial alignment" Constraint. Without such a "basis" to set things correctly, "relative rotations" will "get out of sync" do to (if you will) "angular accuracy limitations." -- Lew

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a Limit constraint for initial alignment (rotation stop), and a Gear constraint for the revolution ratio.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Until we get more definitive Constraint actions, it is merely "eye candy.
My question was more is the tooth detail just for show or will the models need to be good enough for printing/machining?

I approached the concept of a crownwheel and pinion drawing/model set by creating a model of each part, creating an assembly and drawings and then writing a script (with LOTS of help) in the assembly that took values from a spreadsheet and updated parameters in both models. Then I would save the updated assembly and then refresh the drawings.

I kept the drawing/assembly/parts as a master unit and do a full 'save as' after updating everything each time I use it for a new job.

The script reads values that were listed in the same order as the parameters in each part and then looped through the parameters, updating each of the values. Which is why it needs to remain as a set.

Rack and pinion calculations could be written into a script so the spreadsheet could be avoided.

I have uploaded a helical gear part to the forum a few times that has 5-6 EE editable values that will give a pretty good approximation. A rack would be quite easy to do as well. The rack would be accurate, the gear "candy"

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Nate, Stefan or albie0803,
I have a script request for keep constant the line of a curve & spline path length (Like a perimeter), so if I change some values of the transverse value to define the curve & spline (Like Y axis), the length (Like X axe) varies depending of the "path length(Like perimeter)" gives in the script input.
Thanks very much in advance,
GIOV

idslk

Alibre Super User
@GIOV ,
A sorry from me too. I've played aroud sometime ago to "handle" splines using scripts, it wasn't that much fun as i expected (means i haven't reached a goal...)
But for my curiosity, for what do you need this?
Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
@GIOV Sorry, that is beyond my ability. Besides no knowing how to programmatically do it I also have no idea how to mathematically do it.
No worries Nate, anyway thanks very much.
Hi Stefan -- My guess is to perform actual traditional Lofting. -- Lew
Yes
A sorry from me too. I've played aroud sometime ago to "handle" splines using scripts, it wasn't that much fun as i expected (means i haven't reached a goal...)
But for my curiosity, for what do you need this?
Lofting & Material standard size Maximization. The best way for now is do this by traditional manner.
I thinks is a differential equation for the math side.
Other option is do this trough Sheet Metal WorkSpace applying a series of Sketch bend.
Never know if Nate, Stefan or albie0803 gives the Script solution!
Regards and take care please,
GIOV

GIOV

Alibre Super User
I have now another script request. I hope this time you give me the solution :)
In Rhino the command are described below:
Command: Divide
Select curves to divide:
Number of segments <4> ( Length MarkEnds=Yes ):"
So is able to divide all curve in equal segment include the spline one adding a node or point .
Is it feasible by Alibre script?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I know that a Dovetail joint script was requested early on back on page 1 to be specific. But I am re-requesting it and would like it to create Dovetails that can be "adjusted" after their creation. I don't know but maybe it needs to be an add-on rather than a script to be adjustable.
I'm not looking for them to be the rounded dovetails like you normally get when using a Dovetail jig, more like what you get when they are hand sawn or something like what was created in Fusion 360 like shown in this video.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'd like to request a script to place Hole Label on drawings.
The script would interrogate a drawing view that has the holes and hole callouts. It would read each size hole and label it with a letter, likely starting with the letter A, and place the label near each hole of same size. So all holes of the same size would end up with the same label and the label incrementing through the alphabet, A to B to C, etc.

As a bonus the holes would be listed in a hole table giving their size, letter label and quantity.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'd like to request a script to place Hole Label on drawings.
The script would interrogate a drawing view that has the holes and hole callouts. It would read each size hole and label it with a letter, likely starting with the letter A, and place the label near each hole of same size. So all holes of the same size would end up with the same label and the label incrementing through the alphabet, A to B to C, etc.

As a bonus the holes would be listed in a hole table giving their size, letter label and quantity.
Sorry, not currently possible with Alibre Script or Alibre API. Please request Alibre make more features possible by API.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Nate, Stefan or albie0803,
Another impossible mission request...
I would like a script of the center of gravity of a filled solid (taking only the outer boundary edge) under a given plane. In Naval architecture it is called center of buoyancy. Is it possible to realize it?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Way above my ability, but, what if you get your model and do an extrude cut of everything above your plane and get the centre of gravity for it. I just did a quick test with a cube and the result seemed to give what I was expecting.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Way above my ability, but, what if you get your model and do an extrude cut of everything above your plane and get the centre of gravity for it. I just did a quick test with a cube and the result seemed to give what I was expecting.
Yes,I didt this before but I asking from a direct calculation from the model without doing a extra solids & Solid Cut.
taking only the outer boundary edge
That is what I am asking.
But Thanks albie0803!

GeraldH

I need a script to create a DXF flat layout for sheet metal parts from inside the sheet metal part window, instead of making a drawing file with a flat pattern view, and exporting a DXF from that drawing.

Name: Sheet Metal Part DXF Exporter
What it does: Inside a sheet metal part window, the script can export a DXF flat pattern for the part.

Things it should consider:
  1. It needs to make the export the view angle, from the plane the first sketch of the part was made on.
  2. It needs to unbend all bends
  3. Use a 1:1 scale ratio
  4. All lines single layer. Just part outline and inside cutouts.
Just simple click export button to open a save as window where the user can name the new file and save.

I have never done any scripting. Does anyone have interest in building a script like this for me? :rolleyes:Would this be possible, or would this type of tool would have to be a built as an Alibre add-on? I design a lot of sheet metal parts, and I find generating the DXFs in the current Alibre environment too time consuming.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I would love something like Inventor where you right click the face of a part and select export to dxf