What's new

Alibre User "Shot Gallery"

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work! Be sure to post all these on http://www.alibrepowered.com - this thread is a little antiquated at this point since we launched that website.

Also, a quick tip - when rendering things that have edge reflections, like the corner edges of the spoon, you may notice that sometimes the whole thing looks great but the reflections along hard edges look jagged. If you have KeyShot for Alibre Edition you can have more control over this - what you would do is increase the anti-aliasing and the samples of the render - when you do this the edges that reflect a lot of light become silky smooth.

Max

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,353

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Max said:
Nice work! Be sure to post all these on http://www.alibrepowered.com - this thread is a little antiquated at this point since we launched that website.

Also, a quick tip - when rendering things that have edge reflections, like the corner edges of the spoon, you may notice that sometimes the whole thing looks great but the reflections along hard edges look jagged. If you have KeyShot for Alibre Edition you can have more control over this - what you would do is increase the anti-aliasing and the samples of the render - when you do this the edges that reflect a lot of light become silky smooth.

Max

Thanks Max. Believe it or not but all my settings are on maximum already (or finest, depending on the setting) and yet it still comes out that way... :? Anything else I can try 'cos I've wondered about too...

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Can you screen shot the settings you are referring to?

Do you have "KeyShot for Alibre Edition" where you can manually set each render setting (samples, antialiasing, etc) or are you using the Realtime tab to set those?

Max

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Max said:
Can you screen shot the settings you are referring to?

Do you have "KeyShot for Alibre Edition" where you can manually set each render setting (samples, antialiasing, etc) or are you using the Realtime tab to set those?

Max

Here are the settings. As you can see its all full blast...

Attachments

• Keyshot Settings.jpg
    Keyshot Settings.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 217

Max

Administrator
Staff member
This might be a silly question - but are you using the "Render Image" button at the bottom right to create the render using those settings? The settings you are setting only apply to images that are created via the Render Image button.

BTW setting everything to maximum is not a good idea. I recommend something like:

Samples: 50
Ray Bounces: 16
Antialiasing: 8
Shadow Quality: 3-4
GI quality: 2-3

Setting everything at maximum will produce results that are marginally better than the settings I have above, but you probably wont be able to tell. It will however take 10 times longer to render.

Max

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Max said:
This might be a silly question - but are you using the "Render Image" button at the bottom right to create the render using those settings? The settings you are setting only apply to images that are created via the Render Image button.

BTW setting everything to maximum is not a good idea. I recommend something like:

Samples: 50
Ray Bounces: 16
Antialiasing: 8
Shadow Quality: 3-4
GI quality: 2-3

Setting everything at maximum will produce results that are marginally better than the settings I have above, but you probably wont be able to tell. It will however take 10 times longer to render.

Max
Yeah I am using the button at bottom right. Should I rather use the one on the main page? What is the difference between the two? I don't quite follow what you were saying above :? I will try the settings you suggested but even at full settings the spoon took but a few minutes to render.

I just really want to get rid of the 'jagginess'... please!!!!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
That's weird. Can you send me your BIP and original AD file in a ZIP?

maxf@alibre.com

Max settings on this basic model probably are ok, but with anything more complex or with more complex materials (glass etc) it will balloon out of control and take hours to render.

Max

Max

Administrator
Staff member
In case anyone was following the reflection issue, here is the summary:

- In most cases jagged reflections can be fixed by increasing Samples and Antialiasing.

- In some cases, especially when the HDR image for lighting has very bright spots, the reflection is so bright it cannot be smoothed programatically.

- In these cases, you should (any or all):
- decrease the brightness of the scene and then adjust the gamma of the scene to get the brightness back up
- rotate the HDR lighting image so the really bright spots don't reflect off the hard edges
- choose a different HDR with less very bright spots

robf

OK, my first foray into the world of rendering. A Bi Tec potentiometer.
Complete with missing rivets and locating lug. Doh!

Rob

Attachments

• BiTecPot.6.jpg
    BiTecPot.6.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 293

neilr

I just got Keyshot up and running.....I grabbed a project I was doing in simlab to see how well it ported over and did a quick render..... In Simlab I was able to render each face for the engravings I will start with a fresh model and see how hard it is to get the engraving done with Keyshot alone....

Attachments

• Alatnean.8.jpg
    Alatnean.8.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 203

rollin45

I'll be curious to see how this works out for you, I hope you will post your experience using Keyshot, I am using it currently, but I am always open.

rollin'

neilr

Well just at a glance as I just got it and am new to Simlab and rendering in general I can see advantages to both...I like the real time rendering of keyshot and the quality and look is better I think, but the ease of setting materials and textures in simlab looks favorable...though I may find keyshot excels in this to once I get the feel for it.....just down loaded the webinar and will watch that too. I will get a thread going on it if I get interesting results....

Here is a similar pic only this one is done in simlab...

Attachments

• Alatnean.simlab.jpg
    Alatnean.simlab.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 197

rollin45

Of the two , I think I like the Keyshot image, but of course rendering is a skill which takes lots of time. The programs take time to learn , and for some of the rendering packages out there, it takes more time than I think I have. I know some of the rendering packages take more money than I have :mrgreen:

Bunkspeed is a good product I think, but lots of horsepower both processing/purchase wise.

Keyshot works for me at this point, but I am always looking.

rollin'

Ralf

Alibre Super User
rollin,

To avoid confusion :)

Bunkspeed is a company name.
Product names are:
Shot -> Shot Pro
Move -> Move Pro
Drive

Luxion is a company name.
Product names are:
KeyShot -> KeyShot Pro
VELUX Daylight Visualizer

Simlab Soft is a company name.
Product names are:
SimLab Composer 3D PDF edition -> SimLab Composer Rendering edition -> SimLab Composer Animation edition
Several 3D Plugins

The product / app. "HyperShot" is no longer available for ~13 months.

rollin45

Yes, you are absolutely right Ralf!

I should have been more specific in what I was saying. Sorry to cause any trouble.

rollin'

neilr

OK after reviewing the the webinar that was posted on another tread I was able to get my materials and lighting a little bit better...well more than a little bit better but I still need to do some more work on my damascus steel...

How just to mention I am using this background for testing because it has a variety of colors and lights and I think that helps me fine tune things easier...When I get it right I will be putting it in a throne room for a final rendering...

Attachments

• Alatnean.9.13.jpg
    Alatnean.9.13.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 204