What's new

Alibre vs SolidWorks

indesign

Alibre Super User
Alibre vs SolidWorks

OK.. Not getting into the huge cost difference.. I need to know what the differences between SolidWorks and Alibre are.

I have a big client interested in Alibre but they use Solidworks. What are the differences to be precise and not just well this one has features the other doesn't. I know this is a loaded question and only users of both systems can answer for current software. Maybe only someone in the R and D department at Alibre can answer this question. The company has dozens of Solidworks seats.

jemmej

What are the differences between Solid Edge and Solidworks, what are the differences between Pro/E and Solidworks, NX and Solidworks, Inventor and Solidworks...the answer is specific features, pricing, support and licensing.

Frankly, this is the wrong way to go about it. The company determines its needs first and then compares software on a variety of fronts to determine which one best fits its needs.

Jim

marm37co

You can download this file and read a tecnical comparason between SW and Alibre. Now, The real difference can you define on the work that this enterprise make on SW. In very cases Alibre can make equal work to a minor cost. I think that the main advantage in Alibre is the collaboration tools, vey easy to learn and use, and the support online.

http://www.alibre.com/AlibreLibraries/f ... ist-sw.xls

indesign

Alibre Super User

I know this is the wrong way but I am not getting a commision either. My customer asks me a question and I would hope I could get a comparison sheet of some kind between the software.

Like I said this is a loaded question but this is a very big customer for me and I would like to give him some type of information on software capabilities. I have only been using Alibre for a few months and have no clue to what Solidworks up to date features are. For them to determine switching based on cost they must know what advantages they would be losing over the current software. (Backwards thinking? Maybe.)

I can give him cost differences on price and support/maintence but specific features have not been detailed that I can find anywhere. If you know of just one difference would you please post that one.

I heard of more automated features in the newer versions of Solidworks but not what they are.

swertel

Alibre Super User

My recommendation for you then would be to go onto comp.cad.solidworks newsgroup, or the Solid Works forum at eng-tips.com (they'll be a little less critical).

Ask them for a copy of the "What's New" from the version your customer has up to the current version. You might be able to get it from a Solidworks user from those forums. You should then get a list of new features that SW has and be able to compare it to Alibre, but don't forget to compare to Alibre v9 as that is coming out soon and will most likely be the version your customer gets.

jemmej

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come off as overly critical. The company you are dealing with should have a fairly good idea (with 12 seats) of what type of functionality they are currently using in their environment.

Also, from your original post, it sounded like you DIDN'T want a simple check list of feature comparisons. My apologies for the curt reply.

Jim

swertel

Alibre Super User

Jim,

If your apology is based on my parenthetical comment, I too was not clear enough.

I meant to refer to comp.cad.solidworks newsgroup as being a little "my cad is better than your cad" and therefore deal harshly with outsiders or people who recommend/comment on software other than the one most hol(e)y in their eyes.

Eng-tips users, on the other hand, are mostly engineers that recognize the software as just a tool to do their job, not as the only thing in life. (I say that because I know of comp.cad.solidworks members that won't take a job at a company that doesn't use SW. They'd rather be unemployed.)

Re:

jemmej said:
The company determines its needs first and then compares software on a variety of fronts to determine which one best fits its needs.

jemmej has got this dead on. The first thing you should do is establish requirements. It doesn't matter if SolidWorks can do 100 more things then Alibre if the customer doesn't need any of them. It also won't matter what Alibre can do if it doesn't do the one thing the customer needs.

Always, always start with requirements.

Of course, "requirements" should include both current as well as predicted future needs. It's that predicting the future part that's tough. :)

indesign

Alibre Super User

Thanks,

I have recieved some info I can use. I am not in the least bit interested in Solidworks myself so I wasn't really thinking of what to do correctly. Thanks you Matt for contacting me and I hope this thread could just be closed.

I was simply trying to sound better informed to a large company on a subject I have little knowledge of. I will not be asking this type of question on this forum as this would not be fair to either company.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I see no reason to close this post. It is very useful to know where AD stands against other CAD applications, specially for those of us who have only used Alibre (as myself :D ).

I think the document Miguel showed is a pretty indepth coparison which can work as the check list you wish for.

Only from what I've heard and from a SW sales demo I assisted to, I think that if your client is into mechanical desing (parts that will be machined) he will be fine with AD, and specially with AD9. If he is into free surfacing (parts that will be injected or stamped or the tools for such ends) then he maybe better off with SW (unless he wants to give the AD + Rhino bundle a try).

As Jim said, the main question is "what do they want or need now and in the forseeable future?". Then choose the cheapest, friendliest and simplest way to fullfil those needs :wink:

Good luck with your client!

indesign

Alibre Super User

Some of the replies suggested that I may be working for or selling Solidworks or maybe even a software dealer. If you check my other posts you will see I am defently using Alibre and honestly not interested in changing to something else. I won the version in the Xpress contest (Captain's Bed entry). I changed names to keep my other version active for my son. This version I wish to use for my personnal part time company doing CAD for other shops.

The job shop I work at full time has no problem with this because I am using my version to do their work as well (they have the Xpress for now). They may purchase the full version with the sheetmetal since this has improved the relationship with our customers already. They are a small job shop and would not purchase the more costly software like Solidworks.

I will however be using Alibre to do some mold and die designs. I have no problem developing some of these things as I go and look forward to the new versions to be released. I only hope I can afford to get them.