What's new

Angular constraints on rotational motion

MrPorcine

Pardon a nubie question. I have a door with a rotational constraint on the hinge. Can I limit the travel of the door from the closed position to say 135 degrees? Right now it has 360 degrees of freedom, certainly not reflecting the real world.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Pardon a nubie question. I have a door with a rotational constraint on the hinge. Can I limit the travel of the door from the closed position to say 135 degrees? Right now it has 360 degrees of freedom, certainly not reflecting the real world.

Yes.

Apply an angle constraint between the door face and the face of an adjacent wall.

Select the limits option for the angle constraint, then enter the minimum and maximum angle.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Ditto what @Ken226 said, and be aware that angle limits can sometimes be a bit challenging to apply. Sometimes you get odd results or the limits are opposite of what you want or expect.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Ditto what @Ken226 said, and be aware that angle limits can sometimes be a bit challenging to apply. Sometimes you get odd results or the limits are opposite of what you want or expect.

Your not joking!

I've sprouted some extra patches of grey hair trying to apply angle limit constraints.

I think Alibre sometimes changes the direction it's using as it's positive/negative, on the fly. Each time I change the direction to accommodate it's behavior, it changes it's mind too!

MrPorcine

I'm using Alibre Atom, the entry level program. When I select an angular restraint all I see is a specific angle, not a range of angles. Am I in the wrong place?

atom,

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Im not sure if Atom has this option or not.

If so, it will look like this:

1665109674446.png

Attachments

• Door.AD_PKG
    85.6 KB · Views: 2

Ken226

Alibre Super User
According to the manual, it has it:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006-193408.png
    Screenshot_20221006-193408.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 18

MrPorcine

It appears that Adam doesn't have it. I've got V25, Build 25037.

Attachments

• AngleConstraint.jpg
    AngleConstraint.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 21

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It appears the Help manual needs to be corrected it Limits are not included in Atom.

Before Limits were added to the constraint tool set there was a link called Making a Box Appear Solid posted in the Tips and Tricks section of Tutorials and Tips from the Community that showed how to accomplish a rotation limit by using some helper parts. Unfortunately that link is now dead since the forum was updated. :(

Nick952

Here's a link to the post with the NateLiqGrav solution for the Box lid constraint :-

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks Nate.

There may be a lot of missing/broken links on the Tips section of the forum that are "obsolete" to AD users with all its enhancements but may be helpful for Atom users. Would be nice is a solution was found for to fix or reconnect them.