What's new

Antivirus/Firewall---what do you recommend?

indesign

Alibre Super User
Antivirus/Firewall---what do you recommend?

I have had Norton Internet Security for years but this last 2006 upgrade has left us hurting :cry: .

I would never touch another NIS product agian. What would be a good program that can be used on a small network and will not mess up Alibre or other CAD/CAM software or slow them to a crawl.

I just wont bother at the cost that has incurred or the time involved so I want something painless.

Attachments

• R329204A.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I use Kaspersky: http://www.kaspersky.com/index.html

It hasn't given me any problems with Alibre, as far as I'm aware. It's one of the most thorough ones, but doesn't seem to affect performance noticeably.

It doesn't include a firewall, though...

I'm a NIS survivor, too....

leeave96

What has Norton screwed-up with respect to Alibre?

In my case, when I updated to 8.2, I could no longer log onto the Alibre server. Working with Alibre, I had to use a work around.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• Denver Members.png
    Denver Members.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 1

indesign

Alibre Super User

Mostly on my end it slowed it down. Saves, opening, etc. But the screw ups come mostly in the system. Alibre and most other programs are useless if you have to reboot every hour or so from norton crashing.

Not being able to print to the print server and having to open all the firewall settings pretty much makes Norton useless too. Tech support being some guy I can't understand that speeks a very rough english (barely). Like I said I shouldn't get started. :evil:

cclark440

Alibre Super User

We use Trendmicro's Office scan on our network. Never had any problems with it, and it has saved my butt a few times too.

Auspex

In my experience NOD32 is the best Antivirus performer using the least amount of rescources. Norton is a rescource HOG.

krisz

I have tried a whole bunch of them before i decided with Kaspersky myself. It works like a charm and it is easy on the system. I used Norton myself in the past 4-5 years but when I installed the new 2006 version and my athlon 64 system with 2 gig ram slowed down like i was running a Pentium 1 i have decided to look for something better than Norton.

Trend Micro is also pretty good i had license for it and i used it on my laptop but Kaspersky did a better job, so i got rid of it.
Give it a try for 30 days its free.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/ :)

cgriffin

I use PC-Cillin. I had avoided it because I dislike those cutesie names, but it won an award from one of the major PC magazines, so I gave it a try. I was shopping around because I hate Nortons marketing--they charge more to renew than buying a whole new package at Costco. Also, PC-C was cheaper to buy a whole suite than just upgrading my Norton subscription--and their renewal fees aren't sky high. Not only that, but when I ran it for the first time, it found problems that Norton didn't. I'm a happy customer.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

cgriffin said:
I use PC-Cillin. I had avoided it because I dislike those cutesie names, but it won an award from one of the major PC magazines, so I gave it a try. I was shopping around because I hate Nortons marketing--they charge more to renew than buying a whole new package at Costco. Also, PC-C was cheaper to buy a whole suite than just upgrading my Norton subscription--and their renewal fees aren't sky high. Not only that, but when I ran it for the first time, it found problems that Norton didn't. I'm a happy customer.

Been testing all the ones that give a trial period. I too like this one so far. It seems to behave a little better than some of the others. I am looking at suits only as well so the PC-Cillin has the lead so far. Need all in one for ease of maintance (firewall, antivirus with email scan, email spam).

Needs to work well on network. We have two 2000 pro, four XP pro, and 1 XP home all on the network and they must play together nicely.

cgriffin

I've got two or three PRO and several XP home, and it works well my network. I have it installed on about four computers now. I bought the 5 license package, which was cheaper. I was going to wait for all of the Nortons to expire, but I like the PCCillin so much better that I started swapping them out a month or two early just to get it over with.

The only thing bad I've got to say about PC-Cillin is that the XP OS doesn't recognize the firewall, so you get warnings.

One nice feature, especially if you have a wireless system, is that it will check every 30 minutes to see if there is a new pc on your network. If there is, then it will warn you, and you can choose to trust them or not.

macinc

I used Trend as well with Alibre, with no problems. I like it better than Norton or McAfee, not as much fluff to hog resources. I am using McAfee at the moment though, because it is free with my Comcast service. If I ditch Comcast or they stop offering the free McAfee, I will go back to Trend.

macinc

Re:

cgriffin said:
The only thing bad I've got to say about PC-Cillin is that the XP OS doesn't recognize the firewall, so you get warnings.

I forget where at the moment, but you can turn off the A-V and Firewall warnings you get from the Windows OS, as well as the auto-update nags too.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Can't seem to remove the NIS 2006 without causing harm to my systems. Today I spent over 3 hrs repairing and reinstalling software on one system after removing the stupid program. If I ever see another NIS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

scarr

Zone Alarm offers a free firewall application that is quite robust and their Secuiity Suite (firewall, spyware, anti-spam, personal protection) is quite reasonably priced, and has never given me any problems with Alibre or any other program I run. I run XP Pro on all my machines.