What's new

Any thoughts on an updated users guide/manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltsAndBolts

I really like the feel of paper, a nice lay flat book next to me I can reference and make notes in. I know this is a bit antiquated but so am I. In this modern world there are other alternatives. An online manual, PDF file, a Wiki (a website that allows collaborative editing of its content and structure by its users.)

With all that could be done, what would work best for you or best for most people?

I guess a PDF would make since. It would be easy to edit by the creator and I could always print it for my 3 ring binder.

V&B

oldfox

Alibre Super User
As far as paper goes, absolutely a lay-flat. I too can print out a hard copy. It would probably be cheaper in the long run for the money to come out of my pocket rather than Max's. :D (think updates)

Other than that, an e-manual/book that is absolutely searchable with a VERY good search
engine. PDF is good.

I don't like online. I would use a PDF/searchable as an index to find what I want and then go to the hard copy to work from.

I would imagine that both of my non-paper choices could be accomplished without too much ado once the "book" is actually manuscripted.

Yes! A Manual that can be printed and bound (into a 3-ring binder) with a good Index and Table of Contents would fall into the "good things" category. Add in a "Lexicon Section" to translate modern CAD-speak to Traditional Drafting-speak would fall into the :even better" category!

Last edited:

KMoffett

It looks like the HELP screens in the program are written in a now unsupported format. All images appear as X'd out boxes. I do like on screen manuals.

Ken

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like the HELP screens in the program are written in a now unsupported format. All images appear as X'd out boxes. I do like on screen manuals.

Ken

Hey Ken, can you screenshot this? Should not be happening.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I had a look at the help as its been a few years since my last visit. Crashed Alibre it did :eek:

KMoffett

Max,

This has been going as long as I can remember. Somewhere I recall that there was a change in support by Windows or Microsoft for a format that had been used for online manuals. It's the same for Mecsoft's AlibreCAM

Ken

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    79.9 KB · Views: 48

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Microsoft Windows Version 6.1.7601 (Windows 7 Pro)

I've been using it for the tutorials and all of the graphics are prima.

Attachments

• Alibre Help.png
    Alibre Help.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 34

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Some possible causes for failure to display images in chm files are to be found on the internet - mainly around windows security. Non standard file location could lead to this in some cases, but there are a number of other causes suggested. Perhaps try running Alibre 'As Administrator' to see if it makes any difference.

KMoffett

David,

Always installed as Administrator. Windows 10 is installed as an institutionally set image here. I searched for .chm files and found several locally for other programs. No images there either. I'll contact our IT ans see what they say. Thanks.

Ken

KMoffett

For my Help file images problem, I had our IT people take a look. Even though I had installed Alibre Design with "Run as Administrator", they have me:

Right click on the Alibre icon on the desktop or Task Bar (Attached)
Right click on "Alibre Design"
Left Click on "Run as Administrator"

The other option was:
Copy AlibreDesign.chm to the desktop
Create a batch file: AlibreHelp.bat >

@echo off
C:\users\moffett\desktop\AlibreDesign.chm

Right click on AlibreHelp.bat
Left Click on "Run as Administrator"

Both work-arounds bring up the help file with the images.

Ken

Attachments

• Run for Help.png
    Run for Help.png
    33 KB · Views: 12

ctcboater

If anyone is interested, I've compiled almost all of the help manual into a single pdf. I have uploaded it to my website. It's almost 1000 pages long (115mb).

Link: wwslalom_dot_net/alibre/alibre_manual.pdf

If someone can post it to another public site, it would be appreciated. I have limited bandwidth.

Don't be confused by the page numbering. Each section is paginated separately.

Last edited:

jroy

If anyone is interested, I've compiled almost all of the help manual into a single pdf. I have uploaded it to my website. It's almost 1000 pages long (115mb).

Link: wwslalom_dot_net/alibre/alibre_manual.pdf

If someone can post it to another public site, it would be appreciated. I have limited bandwidth.

Don't be confused by the page numbering. Each section is paginated separately.
Hi ctcboater,

I'm interested in the file but your link does not work.

I'll monitor what others have to say, so I'll stay tuned...

Thanks for the work,

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If anyone is interested, I've compiled almost all of the help manual into a single pdf.
Are you coordinating with Alibre so all the updates to their Help manual are incorporated in yours? I know that I have turned in some recently that have been already updated or will be in the next version.

Status
Not open for further replies.