What's new

Any thoughts on an updated users guide/manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctcboater

Jayray: Replace the underscores with periods. The forum doesn't allow links so I had to cheat.

I am not associated with Alibre. It's all my own initiative.
The PDF is compiled from a Help file dated 11/23/2021. That's the one I got when I bought the program a month ago. If anyone has a later chm file, post it.

jroy

Jayray: Replace the underscores with periods. The forum doesn't allow links so I had to cheat.

I am not associated with Alibre. It's all my own initiative.
The PDF is compiled from a Help file dated 11/23/2021. That's the one I got when I bought the program a month ago. If anyone has a later chm file, post it.
Yep, it worked my friend ;-)

How many hours of work have you spent on this? All I can say is that you're more patient than me.

Thanks for your efforts, two thumbs up :)

ctcboater

It wasn't that much work. Under 2 hours. I just expanded each section and used the print function to Print to PDF. The hard part was combining each section into a single PDF with another program.

tk1247

I had a look at the help as its been a few years since my last visit. Crashed Alibre it did :eek:
I had not used help for a while either, and it doesn't work. I click on the little ? symbol and the menu comes up for help, but there is no content...just the spinning ball. After a while, I get a message box Security alert: Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?". If I click yes, I finally get the help content.....sometimes. Sometimes nothing though. Any thoughts? I'm running Win 10 for Workstation, latest updates. If I click on view certificate, it says it was intended to ensure the identity of a remote computer, issued to *.gstatic.com, issued by GTS CA 1C3, Valid from 4/18/2022 to 7/11/2022. Then asks if I want to install the certificate......should I do that?

tk1247

I had not used help for a while either, and it doesn't work. I click on the little ? symbol and the menu comes up for help, but there is no content...just the spinning ball. After a while, I get a message box Security alert: Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?". If I click yes, I finally get the help content.....sometimes. Sometimes nothing though. Any thoughts? I'm running Win 10 for Workstation, latest updates. If I click on view certificate, it says it was intended to ensure the identity of a remote computer, issued to *.gstatic.com, issued by GTS CA 1C3, Valid from 4/18/2022 to 7/11/2022. Then asks if I want to install the certificate......should I do that?
Update: Help now working on and off. Sometimes does what I describe above, sometimes just takes a while to load, then does, sometimes loads right away. Something wrong at the remote help server??

BTW, I also vote for a pdf of the manual, but only if it is up to date. If the manual, tutorials, and help screens are not all updated to match the current level of the software, they don't serve much purpose, and potentially just confuse things. I also prefer a flat manual to consult, particularly for tutorials, but a searchable pdf would be almost as good.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Whilst I think that a hard copy or pdf of the manual is good, especially for doing text searches, whatever you produce will never be as up to date as the help on the Alibre website. They have moved from an embedded help system to online in order that they do have a single, maintainable resource. IMHO, making copies of the web resource will be more or less out of date by the time you've manually compiled it in to some other format !

How much time do you intend repeating this task every release/minor release?

The way to go, is to request that Alibre enhance the help by having a pdf download option (dynamically created on their server) of the whole help document, that is targeted at just your version/level of Alibre to 'declutter' the stuff your version can't do!

Driving change for the better using the system that is already in place is way better than trying to play catch up using some homegrown solution.

I'm sure, from memory, that the original intent of the new web based system was also to have links to videos and tutorials, etc ... you can't replicate that with just pdfs.

ctcboater

I'm sure, from memory, that the original intent of the new web based system was also to have links to videos and tutorials, etc ... you can't replicate that with just pdfs.
True, but the PDF is easier to browse when you are just starting out and have no idea what is available. It's nice to have everything at hand.

Cator

Ciao, sto lavorando con calma a questo progetto.... vorrei sapere se è qualcosa che potrebbe interessarti...https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/training.22773/post-151564

Max

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so we can output a PDF from the help directly. But, it's a bit tedious to set up. So, please go here to vote and continue the discussion. I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.