What's new

Any tips on making threads quickly.

TimB

Hi all,

After years of using Alibre for generating parts and sending the files of to be made I purchased a 3d FDM printer.

One of the things that I found works is printing threads. However they are a pain. Before I would just say x thread here. But with 3d printing you actually need the shape. I currently draw the main parts then spend ages drawing a profile of a thread with all the right pitch etc for the thread. Then spiral rotate cut the thread out. Works great if you have one. But I'm now looking to print parts that have many threads in them and not really interested in the work redrawing the profile of a thread every time.

So my question is can I just make a set of threaded parts. Like say bolts. The draw my part, and mate the bolt into the hole and do a boolean subtraction or something? Is that possible? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks Tim

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The draw my part, and mate the bolt into the hole and do a boolean subtraction or something? Is that possible?
Seems reasonable to me.

IF
it was allowed you could also create the thread profiles you use/need and save them out as Catalog Feature, but it seems that Save Catalog Feature doesn't accept a Revolved Cut or Boss. Wonder why that is.

So my question is can I just make a set of threaded parts. Like say bolts. The draw my part, and mate the bolt into the hole and do a boolean subtraction or something? Is that possible? Or is there a better solution?
Hi Tim -- Not that I have done squat with respect to 60° threads, but I have done a fair amount with ACME threads should you take a look in Resources. A BOOLEAN Subtract can create such things should you need them. -- Lew

TimB

Hi,

I tried it out. It works. My alignment skills suck I must find a way to get the quick alignment to work. In the end I just do it by eye

I will add that do it as the very last thing as it really works the PC taking a while to render it.

JST

Alibre Super User
You are likely to get a surprise in terms of clearance, which exists between male and female threads.*

But it likely will give a pretty good location for the tap to clear out the printed threads to spec.

* you would need to make the screw used to subtract a bit oversize to account for the clearance, and there is the "rub".

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Tim -- Not that I have done squat with respect to 60° threads, but I have done a fair amount with ACME threads should you take a look in Resources. A BOOLEAN Subtract can create such things should you need them. -- Lew
Lew nailed it. Model male and female threads and use boolean subtract to easily create multiple threads.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You are likely to get a surprise in terms of clearance, which exists between male and female threads.*

But it likely will give a pretty good location for the tap to clear out the printed threads to spec.

* you would need to make the screw used to subtract a bit oversize to account for the clearance, and there is the "rub".
Clearance is an experience thing with FDM printers. I usually end up somewhere between 0.1mm to 0.2mm per side on either the male or female part. But you'll need to properly calibrate your printer first.