What's new

Anybody have material specs for 3D print filaments?

srjacob

I am looking for the material specs for common 3D print filaments such as PLA, PETG, ASA, etc. Has anyone figured out this yet?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
o_O Don't they come with any spec/data sheets? OR check on the manufacturers web sites for the information.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Some manufacturers include them with the spool, some have them on their website, some have none and don't care. The 3D printing market is largely based around poeple printing trinkets so a lot of manufacturers don't take specs that seriously.

Most EU filament manufacturers are pretty reliable (eg Verbatim but there are others) due to EU standards.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Don't the manufacturers have to supply a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) with their product? I know that where I worked we needed a MSDS for gasket material, but that was so it could be UL/CSA approved or recognized. And for 3D printing that may be giving off some noxious gasses I would think that would be a requirement.

If you do an internet search for "PLA MSDS" or "PETG MSDS" you will get a lot of hits, not necessarily for the material you are getting from your supplier/manufacturer though. You may need to get it from their web site.

TimoCAD

_20210915_222235.JPG
I am looking for the material specs for common 3D print filaments such as PLA, PETG, ASA, etc. Has anyone figured out this yet?

I think you can just type in the Browser "material curve pla" and you get pictures of engineering-stress-strain-curves which you can use for fea analysis - If this is what you're going for. Then download engauge digitizer, use it, convert the eng.-stress-strain-curve in effective-stress-strain-curve. Then download Prepomax and calculate your loadcases, Post process it, Done!

Attachments

• PIC_TC_20210809_183341.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Don't the manufacturers have to supply a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) with their product? I know that where I worked we needed a MSDS for gasket material, but that was so it could be UL/CSA approved or recognized. And for 3D printing that may be giving off some noxious gasses I would think that would be a requirement.

If you do an internet search for "PLA MSDS" or "PETG MSDS" you will get a lot of hits, not necessarily for the material you are getting from your supplier/manufacturer though. You may need to get it from their web site.

Chinese filament manufacturers don't give a hoot about safety sheets or specs. As long as they can shift product. This is why I said EU manufacturers are a better way to go.

Specktech

This website called All3dp.com sends out so many amazing articles on everything 3d printing. In many of the articles there are links to very detailed spec. sheets on all the different kinds of filament's. Matter hackers. and Raise 3d has massive amounts of info. out there. I really enjoy learning about and using all kinds of different filaments.