What's new

Anyone running Alibre at 512 MB Ram?

leeave96

Anyone running Alibre at 512 MB Ram?

My PC is a Dell Dimension 4100 series and is a few years old. Currently I have 256 mb of PC133 SDRAM. I can only max out at 512 MB.

Anyone running Alibre with this amount of RAM? Hows it working out?

Thanks!
Bill

ps: Ain't it a shame a PC won't run as long and stay up to date as a washing machine ;)

danbrinkman89

512 Here

I have anew dell, with 512 and everything seems to be fine. No problems and plenty fast for me. I wwork and small scale parts, but have a couple of large assemblys, 100 pcs and it seems fine.

cgriffin

With 512MB and XP, if you have Alibre and a few other programs open (like Word and Excel), it takes a while to switch from one app to another. I noticed an enourmous difference when I upped it.

k5man

Alibre with 512MB

I am also running Alibre on my Anthlon-XPM laptop with 512MB. It does work fine for parts and medium sized assemblies. Switching tasks sometime takes a few seconds and a bit of disk caching.

Big assemblies do bog down but I have also run Alibre on a P4 3Ghz with 1.5GB RAM and it was not really fast on that machine either. That was Alibre 7. I have not had an opportunity to try the same experiment with Alibre 8.2.

Karl

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Running it on 2 pcs (one a notebook and one desktop), both with 512M RAM. No problems. I anticipate adding more RAM, only as the need will dictate.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

512 Mb RAM and 2.0 GHz PIV and 64 Mb Savage 2000 Video. Doesn't seem like much in paper but it works pretty well (I also usually have a few other programs running) 8)

We have other Alibre installs with 1Gb RAM and 3.0 PIV and 128 Nvidia Video which do face speed problems when dealing with large assemblies.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
Running it on 2 pcs (one a notebook and one desktop), both with 512M RAM. No problems. I anticipate adding more RAM, only as the need will dictate.

Just upgraded one of my PCs from 512M to 1G. Made a huge difference for handling assys and drawings.
Was just waiting until I had the need... The need came and the price was right.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Heck up until just recently when my laptop mother board went south, I was running Alibre on it. It was a 700Mhz P3 wth 256RAM, and 32Meg graphics.
Granted it was slooooow. but it did work.

indesign

Alibre Super User

Still run at home with a laptop. 1.2ghz 512ram 32meg graphics(shared)

Runs but a little slow. Assemblies over 20 get almost unusable.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

cclark440 said:
Heck up until just recently when my laptop mother board went south, I was running Alibre on it. It was a 700Mhz P3 wth 256RAM, and 32Meg graphics.
Granted it was slooooow. but it did work.

You didn't do your famous motor on that little toy... Did you?

leeave96

Just a little follow-up, I maxed out my PC to 512, up from 256 and there is a huge difference in Alibre's performance. I'm ready to upgrade to the latest PC, but as long as this PC is performing I'll stick with it.

I don't know about you folks, but I hate the idea of wiping out my $$$ earned on a new PC!!!!! :D

Good luck,
Bill

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Gaspar

No, I did not do the engine on that machine. I tried opening the completed model on it once. It was very very slow :shock:, but it did open it.

rlee

Dell 4100 512 meg ram

I have a dell 4100 w 512 meg or ram, and am ready to upgrade. Most of my assemblies push the limits of my ram. I can't imagine being able to run at all with 256 meg. I plan to go to a new machine soon with 2 gig ram so I won't have to worry about it for a few years.

I upgraded my graphics card 6 months ago, and it made a huge difference.

I'm currently working on ~50 piece sheet metal assemblies on a 3Ghz P4 with 1 GB of ram. The Alibre.exe process by itself uses 500 mb of memory and another 500 mb of vm after 30 minutes or so. I'm going to bump it to 2Gb tomorrow. 512 is usually what I spec out general office computers at. If nothing else is running you might be ok, but for daily use I'd say its not enough.