What's new

Anyone use Rhino?

Rob Thompson

Anyone use Rhino?

Hi there,

I'v just started playing with the eval. version of Alibre.
I'm interested in anyone's thoughts or opinions on using AD with Rhino.

Most of my modelling is not "mechanical" in nature -ie not many straight lines or arcs. Sadly, organic surfaces seem to cause a bit of grief with CAD apps.

I am looking at AD to hopefully use its 2d drawing creation module to quickly generate drawings.

Thanks,
Rob

swertel

Alibre Super User

Not that this specifically answers your question or helps you, but I noticed that Rhino is now listed on the partners page of Alibre's website. Since rumor has it that AD v8 will support surfaces, I can only surmise that there is Rhino functionality or "add-in" with v8.

If that is truely what you want to do, you may want to contact Alibre sales and see if you can download another 30 day trial after v8 is released. The official time frame is late summer. Rumor has it some time June or July. Since June is nearly over, I'd guess July.

eschille

Re: Anyone use Rhino?

Rob Thompson said:

I use Rhino extensively. It's great for drawing objects, rendering concepts, creating flowing organic surfaces etc. It is NOT parametric, so any modifications have to be done by scaling or recreating the geometry. Alibre is parametric, of course and has more robust drafting capabilities. While it is generally possible to import models between the two packages there's always some loss, more so going from Rhino to Alibre than vice versus. I do all concept development in Rhino and use Alibre when parametric part details are needed. I rarely import geometry, instead just modeling the parts from scratch in Alibre and creating drawings from those, easily modified models. Hope that helps.