What's new

Anyone using a Wacom tablet?

JimDane

As a longtime Pro/E user I'm testing Alibre this month and the first thing that strikes me is the odd 'rotate' method of clicking left and right mousekeys to rotate the part.

I have not used a mouse for several years as it causes me a lot of finger pain so I would like to continue using my Wacom Inuos 3 (or get the new Wacom 4).

Has anyone tried working in Alibre this way? Can the rotate command be moved the clicking the middle button as it does in Pro/E?

tnx

Jim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can define a keyboard shortcut for rotate, but not an alternate mouse command.

You might find a 3Dconnexion (or similar) controller device of interest to work with the tablet.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Depending on the mouse that you have, and the software/driver for the mouse, you may be able to configure your mouse to emulate a L+R combination with the middle button for only the Alibre application. There is nothing, to my knowledge, inside Alibre that will allow you to customize it that way. I agree, middle mouse button for rotate, not L+R.

JimDane

I tried using the Wacom today and it doesn't allow me to push two buttons so I can't use the Wacom pen to rotate in Alibre. I can't configure it to push two buttons while activating one button either.

I will have to look for another way of rotating then, possibly using the Space Navigator I have lying around (that I didn't really liked using in Pro/E because the digitizer was much faster)

Jim

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Jim,

You can create a custom toolbar, in a few seconds.

Attachments

• Pen-settings.png
    Pen-settings.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 47

JimDane

Thanks, that sounds great - exactly how are you using it? Do you have to push a button each time you want to rotate the part and then push it again to end?

Jim

Hop

JimDane said:
<snip> exactly how are you using it? Do you have to push a button each time you want to rotate the part and then push it again to end?
Jim

I think you just select the "rotate" tool with your pen. As long as it is active, pressing and holding the "select" button on the pen should rotate the model. Works this way with the left mouse button: mouse over and click to select the rotate tool, hold down left mouse button, move mouse and model rotates. It's been this way as long as I can remember.

Hop

d.hempy

Re: Wacom tablet? (Remapping left + right click to rotate)

JimDane said:
As a longtime Pro/E user I'm testing Alibre this month and the first thing that strikes me is the odd 'rotate' method of clicking left and right mousekeys to rotate the part.

I have not used a mouse for several years as it causes me a lot of finger pain so I would like to continue using my Wacom Inuos 3 (or get the new Wacom 4).

Has anyone tried working in Alibre this way? Can the rotate command be moved the clicking the middle button as it does in Pro/E?

tnx

Jim

I'm with you, Jim. I'm new to Alibre and am trying to use my Wacom Bamboo tablet with Alibre. I'm using the Rotate menu button described above, but it does not promote good use. Rotating the model is something you should just be able to do without thought and without extra steps.

I've looked for a way to change this configuration in AD 2012, without luck. Has anyone found a way to do it?

I've also sought help from Wacom. You can configure the pen buttons to be left click, right click, center click...as well as button 4 or 5 click (who knew?), but no way to chord two buttons.

I've put in feature requests to Alibre and Wacom, hoping either one might respond with an enhanced configuration setting that will get these two great products to meet in the middle. We'll see....

As for now, I've given up on the tablet for Alibre and am using the mouse. I might buy a spaceball and see how that works with the tablet.
-dave

H-L-Smith

I've been interested in starting a "Transportation" forum here (cars, motorcycles, airplanes, bicycles, etc.) for a while, but we don't have a critical mass of Alibre users working in those areas yet. It will happen eventually.

Cheers,

Lonnie

H-L-Smith

I did check the groups area out, Sebastian. That could work well if we get a critical mass of users to join or at least indicate interest. I think I may have to do some recruiting to make it work, though.

Thanks,