What's new

API in the real world

Foreign data format import

Hello
I have now a small app running in beta stage, that read 2D datas from one of our CAM software and is able to rebuild a simple solid into Alibre Design.
I've build a VB class called AlibreRemote that take care of initializing the connection to AD.
I am new to this kind of things, so it may be best coded, but it runs.
(note : it is only in french language for now)
Now, I wonder how I could put an icon or a menu INTO alibre to directly call my app from Alibre (just like one call part library, or so)

PS : The next step is to get a simple 2D IGES reader, because in france, a lot of people use IGES instead of DXF/DWG to send 2D datas.

regards
stephane

rbrian

A small app running in beta stage

Hi Stephane,

This is great news!!

I wonder if you could make a posting about this on my own forum when you get it done to your satisfaction - or let me know if I could host the file on my site - in a directory for API's similar to my free Alibre Design Tutorials. Something that could be downloaded by the user base - for further testing - or maybe a user could help make an english version of it later!

Just a thought! Robert

PS - I also wonder if you're game to create an API - that will edit/save a stp file in Alibre Design Versions older than the current working model. You would need to create something that editied the text that is the .stp file, and modified certain lines that specify specific verions of code - so that the older specs were substituted.

I did a manual edit of a fellow users exported .stp file from V8.0 - to make it openable in V7.0 - not too hard, but the file was highly disorganised - so once I got it clear as to what I had - I build a new model in V7.0 that I exported in .stp file for other user - who could read that no problem!

api in the real world

Hello

sorry for my late answer to your post, but I was very busy these last weeks. I hope I will be able to send you something usefull quickly.

I'll try to had basic scripting for solid design (for example, cube, cylinder, holes, ...) to my vb class.

regards
stephane

modtek

API for sketch properties

Hello

I have not seen any fedback to my earlier API example (stp conversion from v8 to v7). So I do not know if it works or if it will be useful or not.

dosterberg has mentioned about finding sketch properties in his post dated 2/15/05(Enhancements Forum)

A VB module (properties.zip) is posted in "Binaries". It finds out perimeter for a sketch
(with 4 lines). Name the part (containing the sketch) as "sketch.ad_prt" and place it in a folder " C:\\api".

It will be possible to develop other modules to calculate area, c.g,radius of gyration etc. in a similar way depending on the feedback from experts.

With regards
modtek