What's new

API. Not intergration?

cclark440

Alibre Super User
API. Not intergration?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

This API doesn't really allow one to integrate anything into Alibre, it just allows you to be able to control certain things about Alibre from a second application.

API integration

While not having gotten that far yet, I believe that the API program can be run from Alibre via TOOLS > ADD-ONS.

I have currently a running program that uses the API, that controls what happens in Alibre (much like running a macro).

In Program Files\\Alibre Design\\AddOns\\ there is a folder for each add-on and in those folders there is a file with a ".adc" suffix. If you use a text editor to view that file, it appears to be a control file to run a program.

Given the right information, or API enhancements we may learn how to use this or some other method to run our API programs. Currently I am just running the test programs externally to Alibre, and trying to become proficient with Visual Basic.

I envision using Macro Express or some other external macro tool to easily run my programs, and maybe eventually learning how to integrate. I also understand that user definable toolbars may someday come to Alibre, and maybe there will be a way to assign the API program to a toolbar button.

On a related subject, I think I have found how to link the Python language to the Alibre COM interface, and that would provide rapid program development, and eliminate the need to buy Visual Basic or Studio.

Maybe we will get more API information with the next update.

Macro Express within Alibre

Yes, you can use Macro Express within Alibre. (Sorry for the delay but I was rebuilding and did not have Alibre and Macro Express installed, and I wanted to run some tests first).

While you can run Macro Express within Alibre, I have not had much reason to do so. I often use Macro Express to start another helper application while in a program.

I have not thought of much to automate in Alibre (like a button to initiate Photorender) as Alibre is fairly well organized. I would be interested in your ideas for Macros as that could jumpstart my brain into thinking along those lines. Macro Express is nice as it will confine a defined macro to just one application like Alibre (to prevent it from running while active in another programs window), or you can just define a global macro.

Free automation programs are AutoIt from http://www.hiddensoft.com, and with AutoHotkey from http://www.autohotkey.com. I have not yet tested these programs, but ran across them during other research and noted them for possible use when setting up systems for others.

For enhancing Alibre use though, I have found the Belkin Nostromo n52 to be the handiest addition to my system. With the ability to map functions and its own keystroke macro programming, the Nostromo has been handy to automate functions and tasks. While it is not as sophisticated as a SpaceBall, at $35 including shipping it is 1/10th the cost and does quite an adequate job. I leave the mouse/trackball for cursor control and have programming panning and rotation into the n52, as well as reversing the scroll wheel function to something I prefer. I am still experimenting, but I am working on programming the function keys for my most commonly used functions. With the loadout manager set to automatic, the n52 will load different key mapping for any program you want to run. I leave it to load the Parts keymapping for Alibre, with a manual change to an Assembly and Drawing mapping when required (hopefully assigned to a keyboard key with Macro Express when completed). While the n52 has 4 shift states, my uses left me wanting to use all mapping for various configurations while working on parts (sketching, reference figures..), so I decided to go with different mappings for Assemblies and Drawings. Sadly Summer and the good weather has come between me and Alibre and I have not had as much time to spend with Alibre and the Nostromo n52 as I would like. But, all things in their own time.

Search the forum for keymapping and a Word template for the Belkin SpeedPad Nostromo n52, and other users references to this device. It will make you more efficient and keep both of your hands busy.

Macro Express does have some annoying effects when using the mouse and it can be hard to pick what you want, and the macro can run away from you and change something in a session that you do not want if you are not careful. But, it is a good tool to have when needed. I also purchased the PGM functions library to Macro Express to provide more capabilities.

I have downloaded the Visual Basic 2005 Express Beta and I am working on learning to use the Alibre API for the tasks I wish to automate (like prompting for dimensions for standard parts).

I hope this addresses you interests, and I would be interested in your possible uses for macros.

fiddler

My main issue with automation is that we have a number of "standard" products, however the sizes vary within a certain limit.
I use Excel to calculate most of the measurements and then import then manually into AD.
As most models have about 40 to 50 different parts, this is quite cumbersome though still better than re-drawing each part.
So I would like to automate this process.
AD does NOT allow an Excel macro to be recorded and replayed.
Also the assemblies are a challenge to get to update correctly. However that a sequence issue.

Eventually I would like to be able to have low skilled staf, entering the data in Excel and it will print out the nessesary 2D/3D drawings.

Keeps me of the street

Kim

marm37co

Modify the ADC file

KirkKelsey:

Can you explain how modify the adc file to run external applications from Alibre? Or can you post a example?

I test with various, but I do not run any application.

Thanks for you help.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

This bodes well, for the future:
"While we are not offering an open source solution, there are some parallels. For example, we will provide a rich API upon which companies or individuals can build custom solutions and applications based on a widely accessible application platform." - Greg Milliken - Blog date, 30th August 2005.