What's new

Assembly and drawing questions

GordonL

A couple of beginner questions.

I am working on an assembly of some parts that I have modeled. When I want to place these parts in the assembly to constraint points are now hidden behind other parts so I cannot just click on the point. I have turned on reference geometry on the parts and that helps in some cases. Also I can go to the tree of features and click on them until I get the correct one. I have made the outer parts less opaque so I can see the internal points but I cannot click on them. Is there a way to temporally hide the external parts so that I can click on the internal parts?

I am also making 2D drawings of the parts that I have modeled. I have a piece that I want to show the detail on two sides. Front is different than the back so I need bot views. In the initial setup screen I can choose either the front or the back but not both. How do I get both views on the drawing?

When making a 2D drawing how do I put more than one piece on the the same sheet? Each small piece does not need a separate sheet.

I am slowly but surely getting the hang of this. I can now make a 10 minute sketch in two hours. That is down from three hours. I have been using 2D cad for 25+ years and it is hard to change my ingrained thinking.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Gordon,
I'm not really clear about you assembly questions, I simply move the workspace around to help me see what I need to; or hide parts to 'get behind them'.

When making 2D drawing the default is typically 'Front' + a side view + top view, but you can select extra views using the buttons provided, and de-select those that you don't want. See steps 11 - 13 in https://help.alibre.com/articles/#!...bout-the-drawing-process-creating-2d-drawings

More than one piece on a sheet, Yes. Just select Standard views - browse to the new part to be added and choose views to add. Note though that only one design can drive data field population on the sheet. Don't fixate too much on saving paper - stuffing too many parts on a sheet just creates confusion.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I am also making 2D drawings of the parts that I have modeled. I have a piece that I want to show the detail on two sides. Front is different than the back so I need bot views. In the initial setup screen I can choose either the front or the back but not both. How do I get both views on the drawing?
1667320006620.png

When making a 2D drawing how do I put more than one piece on the the same sheet? Each small piece does not need a separate sheet.
1667320043907.png
I am working on an assembly of some parts that I have modeled. When I want to place these parts in the assembly to constraint points are now hidden behind other parts so I cannot just click on the point. I have turned on reference geometry on the parts and that helps in some cases. Also I can go to the tree of features and click on them until I get the correct one. I have made the outer parts less opaque so I can see the internal points but I cannot click on them. Is there a way to temporally hide the external parts so that I can click on the internal parts?
Right click a part in the assembly > Hide. When you're done, you can unhide it by finding it in the Explorer and rightclicking it from there. There is no "show all" command. You can select all > Hide > Unhide to show everything.