What's new

Assigning materials

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
beastro said:
In any case I found out today that for using hypershot it is essential that any parts that have different surface properties should be on different sub assemblies.
Not true. They need only to be separate parts.*

*I have found that it really need only to have separate solid bodies for multiple materials per part. This comes in handy for parts that are only needed for creating quick renderings.

beastro

Re: Frame assembly

NateLiqGrav said:
*I have found that it really need only to have separate solid bodies for multiple materials per part. This comes in handy for parts that are only needed for creating quick renderings.

But Hypershot won't allow me to apply different surface properties to solid bodies if they reside in the same *.stp file, or does it?

Berthold

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

Perhaps someone can split this as a new topic in the Hypershot area.

Hmm, they do for me. Make sure you have considerable gaps in between each body otherwise it will consider them as one solid body. Try with Step 203 or 214 if Alibre Step is not working.

Attachments

• Test_Solids2.stp
    79.8 KB · Views: 100
  • untitled.202.jpg
    untitled.202.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 205

beastro

NateLiqGrav said:
Perhaps someone can split this as a new topic in the Hypershot area.

Hmm, they do for me. Make sure you have considerable gaps in between each body otherwise it will consider them as one solid body. Try with Step 203 or 214 if Alibre Step is not working.

I tried previously with a part that included 2 solids and circular feature pattern of one of the solids. However the solids were constrained to each others surface. I attach the *.stp file

Berthold

Attachments

• Diamond hogging tool.stp
    143.3 KB · Views: 94

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
In this case you actually have one solid body in one Alibre part file. Leaving a gap between the two extrusions would let you apply different materials in Hypershot to the same part. Another way would be to make the extrusions into different parts (through configurations or other means) and constrain them together in an Alibre Assembly file. See examples in my next two posts.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Example 1:
Done with the teeth inserted, constrained and arrayed in the assembly with separate Alibre part configurations. Note there is no visible gap between the teeth and their reflections. Also note that painting one tooth with material applied it to all teeth.

Attachments

• Diamond hogging tool1.stp
    333.9 KB · Views: 108
  • untitled.207.jpg
    untitled.207.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 210

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Example 2:
Done all with one Alibre part file using separated solid bodies. Note the small visible gap between the teeth and their reflections. Also note that each tooth needed to be individually painted with material.

Attachments

• Diamond hogging tool2.stp
    184.1 KB · Views: 96
  • untitled.204.jpg
    untitled.204.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 198

jhiker

Alibre Super User
mmmm... that's a nasty ground shadow you got there Nate. Do you find this only happens with certain shapes?
I've had similar problems - sometimes inserting a dummy ground plate can help.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Those were just quick snapshots. I didn't try, but I assume that if I scaled it larger or tried a different environment then the shadows would look better.