What's new

Atom. How To Model Compound Angle

gChambers

practice9.jpg
Working through the tools and concepts of Atom. I'm having trouble finding the method to create the compound angles of the two triangles described in the practice drawing above. I'd normally either use a Boolean shape to delete geometry or slice with a plane but neither of these options are available in Atom. Have tried the various methods in Champer tool with no success.
Any suggestions on how to model this part?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Same result, using chamfers. Your could also look at creating half of the part and then mirroring the features.

Lots of variations are possible - none are more 'correct' than any other. Some may be more convenient, or seem more intuitive. Use whichever approach is comfortable for you.

Attachments

• Practice Part1.AD_PRT
    268.5 KB · Views: 3

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
Hi gChambers,

David provided some excellent examples. If I may add one more, I used a subtractive loft which I think is in the same spirit of what you're asking. Lofting can provide a lot of options for creating geometry.

Attachments

• Compound Angle.AD_PRT
    277.5 KB · Views: 12

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
So, is there an update that we should know about?
Tried opening your part and got this...
1720428426771.png

When I check for updates I'm told my AD is up to date. :confused:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Joseph is working with an internal Development build (which I don't have access to). Work is ongoing to get PDM ready for beta so new builds are being produced fairly regularly. Joseph may well be testing, or producing videos and the like to show how to use PDM.

Probably just an oversight on his part not to switch back to a 'production build' to produce that file. I'm sure he'll add a file created in 28098 when he has a moment.

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
Right you are David, Thanks for the quick reply. This one should be made in the production version.

Attachments

• Subtractive Loft Method.AD_PRT
    474 KB · Views: 3