What's new

Atom3D and threads for 3D printing

DavidR8

I've done a bunch of searching here and elsewhere and it seems that only Alibre Design has the ability to make actual threaded holes and not just cosmetic threads. Or is there some hidden way to make threads?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've done a bunch of searching here and elsewhere and it seems that only Alibre Design has the ability to make actual threaded holes and not just cosmetic threads. Or is there some hidden way to make threads?

Even in Alibre Design Expert, there's no dedicated button or function for modeling actual threads.

Design and Atom work the same way for modeling threads.

Here's a quick and easy overview on it:

Internal is done the same as external. Just sketch the thread Inside the hole, with the root pointing out, instead of in.

If your hole isn't symmetric to a default plane, you'll need to create a new plane bisecting the hole. For the purposes of creating a workplane, treat a cylindrical hole the same as a cylindrical solid.

Last edited:

jasonmburns

We have been asking for this feature for a long time. I don't know if Alibre is actually working on it or not, but they do know we want this feature.

Threaded holes are great for 3d printing for sure, but if you produce a drawing with actual threads on it's a nightmare. If you have MOI3D people have written scripts to build threads and screws and such, it maybe a thing that could be translated into Alibre script function? Not sure, I'm hopeless at any sort of programming language like that :)

gsieben

actual threads on it's a nightmare

I wonder if there would be some sort of hybrid possible; where you could choose to have the aesthetic threads in the model for both performance and edit-friendliness, but then create real threads when exporting to an STL or STEP for manufacturing or 3D Printing. Or, perhaps, just the ability to use the Helix tool with the Holes Library.

jasonmburns

I wonder if there would be some sort of hybrid possible; where you could choose to have the aesthetic threads in the model for both performance and edit-friendliness, but then create real threads when exporting to an STL or STEP for manufacturing or 3D Printing. Or, perhaps, just the ability to use the Helix tool with the Holes Library.
Most 3D CAD programs have a checkbox that lets you select visual threads or physical threads. I'm really surprised Alibre doesn't have this feature yet as most CAD programs have had this ability for many years now.

Hi all, I just kindly asked the Alibre team about such a feature as well. I haven't heard back yet, though.
With additive manufacturing on the rise, being able to generate actual threads would be an amazing tool. Where as some consumer 3D printers aren't accurate enough for threads to work without fuss, a lot of modern 3D printers certainly are accurate enough.
Generating threads manually is such a hassle and there's so much that could go wrong if I type something incorrectly. It would be so much more reliable to just modify the holes tool to have the ability to add real threads OR cosmetic threads. I'd pay extra to get Pro just for the ability to make threads.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Threads are not a feature of the Hole tool even in Pro or Expert. And sadly the tools that make creating threads easier (Part library, Design Boolean, or Catalog Features) are not available in Atom.

Ex Machina

Threads are not a feature of the Hole tool even in Pro or Expert. And sadly the tools that make creating threads easier (Part library, Design Boolean, or Catalog Features) are not available in Atom.
Yeah, in fact, Dynamic Part Library is only available in Expert, if I'm not mistaken.

Larryc39

IME and I may just be bad at it and using cheap printers but in 3D printing internal features [holes] tend to shrink at varing rates - think casting, not machining. If I design a "perfect" threaded hole per the Machinery's Handbook I usually test print then adjust tolerances until it fits properly.

Even in Alibre Design Expert, there's no dedicated button or function for modeling actual threads.

Design and Atom work the same way for modeling threads.

Here's a quick and easy overview on it:

Internal is done the same as external. Just sketch the thread Inside the hole, with the root pointing out, instead of in.

If your hole isn't symmetric to a default plane, you'll need to create a new plane bisecting the hole. For the purposes of creating a workplane, treat a cylindrical hole the same as a cylindrical solid.

Thanks for the threads video. I was struggling with it as it works differently in solidworks.
I successfully made a printed part mate with a PTFE tube fitting.