What's new

Atom3D: Easiest way to move a rectangle figure?

ReedMikel

Hi - Newbie here :) I'm getting somewhat comfortable with drawing in Atom3D, but one thing that I haven't figured out is how to move certain figures. e.g. I draw a rectangle figure, then use Dimension tool to size it. Now I want to move it slightly - or - I've just done a Copy/Paste and want to move the cloned rectangle. Is there a simple way, using the mouse or arrow keys, to select the rectangle and move it? It seems as once a rectangle is drawn, it's no longer a single figure but instead 4 figures (lines). I do see a Move tool/button, but it doesn't seem intuitive to me. And I'd rather just be able to select the rectangle, then drag it wherever I want (looking at figures' coordinates to fine tune the new location). I'm guessing I'm simply overlooking something simple?

Tks!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If the rectangle is not fully defined (black), i.e. it's position is not defined (orange, as shown by the sketch status at the bottom right corner of the window), the you can use the select tool in combination with SHIFT or CTRL (can't remember which without sitting at my PC) to select all the 4 sides, then just drag with the mouse to your new location. You can also use constraints to move the rectangle to specific places, i.e. to an axis or other sketch figures.

See Copy, Move and Rotate

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Is should have said that you need to dimension the rectangle (i.e. Orange, so the magnitude is define, but not position) so that dragging one corner node, to move it, then moves the whole rectangle rather than just one of the selected edges!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
looking at figures' coordinates to fine tune the new location
If you want it in a precise position. Use constraints, or dimension it, to set it's position relative to something else. i.e. the co-ordinate origin or a plane, etc

ReedMikel

Is should have said that you need to dimension the rectangle (i.e. Orange, so the magnitude is define, but not position) so that dragging one corner node, to move it, then moves the whole rectangle rather than just one of the selected edges!
Thanks - I did get that to work! I guess I'm still surprised the rectangle can't be selected, like say a circle figure, with one click. Just not like any other CAD software I've ever used. Hard to wrap my head around it, but I'm getting there :)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What other CAD software have you used that created rectangles as a single entity? Those that I've use treated them as a collection of lines.:confused:

If Atom 3D had sketch shapes then you could move the rectangle as a singe entity, but...
1647283452707.png

ReedMikel

What other CAD software have you used that created rectangles as a single entity? Those that I've use treated them as a collection of lines.:confused:

If Atom 3D had sketch shapes then you could move the rectangle as a singe entity, but...
View attachment 35552
I'm thinking more like Punch 3D's Architectural design software, which includes an Object Builder that is essentially a mini CAD tool. But you're right, other than Punch's Architectural Series and Blender, I have not used any other CAD software in recent years. But I have used all sorts of software over many decades, and it just doesn't seem intuitive that after I draw a rectangle figure, I cannot then select and drag it anywhere I choose... I mean if you draw a circle, it doesn't create little arc figures - so what's so special about rectangles?

Would be nice if when you moved the mouse pointer to a corner of the square, a special rectangle pointer would appear with diagonal arrows indicating you can drag the rectangle...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Would be nice if when you moved the mouse pointer to a corner of the square, a special rectangle pointer would appear with diagonal arrows indicating you can drag the rectangle...
Alibre won't recognise it as a rectangle. To Alibre its just 4 sketch lines that have parallel, equal, vertical, horizontal or perpendicular constraints. Sketches aren't seen as geometric shapes, but a series of connected lines! The square/rectangle tool is just a quick way of generating 4 lines that have basic inter constraints. That's how you need to think of sketches.

ReedMikel

Alibre won't recognise it as a rectangle. To Alibre its just 4 sketch lines that have parallel, equal, vertical, horizontal or perpendicular constraints. Sketches aren't seen as geometric shapes, but a series of connected lines! The square/rectangle tool is just a quick way of generating 4 lines that have basic inter constraints. That's how you need to think of sketches.
Gotcha thanks! So - why does a circle remain a single entity, rather than a lot of little arcs (or even straight line segments)? And if my memory serves me correctly (not always :) ), once you draw a circle you can immediately select it and drag/move it...

ReedMikel

I find that sometimes I want to visually drag the figure (rectangle in this instance) around to where I like it best. I don't know exactly how much I want to move it - until I start dragging it around and see something I like. But at least now I know I can draw a selection box around the 4 lines that make up my rectangle, then click and drag it (provided I've constrained it with dimensions first). Though I believe you can only move it perpendicular to the edge you click on...

Last edited:

ReedMikel

Because a circle IS a single entity.
Well that fully explains it - thanks :) I'm guessing is was an early programming decision - and since it works (albeit not intuitive IMO), it remains that way... But no worries, I now know about this quirky aspect...

In my mind - if I wanted to draw 4 lines that were not rectangular, I would use the LINE figure tool - then arrange the lines however I wanted. BUT if I wanted a rectangular shape, I'd use the rectangle tool and expect it to be select-able as a single entity. Call me crazy... :)

Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
But at least now I know I can draw a selection box around the 4 lines that make up my rectangle, then click and drag it (provided I've constrained it with dimensions first). Though I believe you can only move it perpendicular to the edge you click on...
No need to dimension it first and you can move it in any direction.