What's new

[Atom3D] Importing 2d file to use in 3d model?

jlee

I'm on a trial of Atom3D. The main thing I can't figure out right now is how to import a file and use it as a sketch for a 3d model. I believe Atom3D only supports DXF/DWF, but if I convert my file to that version and open it, I can't do anything in 3D with it. Are 2D and 3D sections of Atom3D cut off from each other, or what am I missing?

BobSchaefer

When you import a DXF/DWG file its not a sketch but a drawing. It might sound like nit-picking, but its important. A sketch is what is used in the 3d portion to build you objects, a drawing is usually fed a 3d part or assembly to create its stuff. You can't go from a drawing over to a sketch easily. I know there are ways, but I don't remember them off the top of my head, if you search the forum for DXF import you should be able to find something to help out. Keep in mind, it might tell you to use stuff that's not available in Atom as well, but it should give you some ideas on how best to approach this.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Atom3D (and Alibre Design) support 2D DXF/DWG, not the 3D DXF/DWG.

Use the Open command in Atom3D to import a DXF/DWG - this video is a bit old and it pre-dates the merger of Open with Import commands.

jlee

I'm not trying to import a 3D DXF/DWG. I want to take my drawing from Inkscape or AI, and use it as a sketch so I can do the 3D actions on them.
Bob is on the right track, but a problem is that the forum search engine thinks "DXF" is too short of a search term, and so it ignores it completely.

Is there a way to trace or project a drawing to a sketch? Or just import it as a sketch?

Lars Tomasson

I'm trying to use a 2D DXF file as the basis ov creating a 3D file in Atom. I watch the video, but there are no words and my rev 26 doesn't look at all like what I am seeing in the video. can anyone help out?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The video does have an audio commentary, check the volume setting. The interface has changed a bit but the basics of the process are still valid.

Import DXF to drawing workspace, check and clean up as needed, copy required figures and paste into sketch in part workspace. Use the Sketch as basis for 3D feature.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
There are 2 approaches:

1. If you are coming from Inkscape or AI consider exporting an svg instead of a dxf. Open a sketch in a 3d part, right click - > import svg. Add dimensions and extrude. Note that svgs may scale at specific scale values between programs due to the different ways various programs implement svg. Make sure you add dimensions once it's in Atom3D to ensure it is the correct size.

2. If using a dwg or dxf, there is no "import directly into a sketch" like there is for SVG . Instead, upon opening a dwg or dxf you will be in the 2d drawing workspace. Right click - > activate sketch on sheet. This lets you select figures and copy them. Go into a sketch of a 3d part and paste, or better use the paste stamper tool so you can place the paste where you want.