What's new

Best quality trackball mouse?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've been trying out different pointing devices by buying some cheap, used stuff on eBay, that I don't mind throwing away if I don't like it.

lately, and am getting along pretty well with the trackballs. My favorite so far is a Logitech M570. Since the hand remains stationary, it works will in cars, trucks as well as at a desk.

My only complaints are that it feels lightweight and cheap, and the trackball isn't quite smooth enough to easily take aim at tiny little targets we sometimes encounter doing CAD work. Sometimes, when you need to move the cursor just a tiny bit, the ball resists slightly then moves a little too far. It's good, but could be better.

Anyone know of a high quality thumb operated trackball mouse? Perhaps something with some weight, and quality roller bearings for smoothness? I don't mind expensive, but I'd like a smooth, low resistance ball.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I have one of those. Just keep the ball pocket clean. Crud accumulates around the 3 support points and on the back reader. So pop the ball out from time to time and clean it and the pocket. Otherwise I find it pretty good.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I have one of those. Just keep the ball pocket clean. Crud accumulates around the 3 support points and on the back reader. So pop the ball out from time to time and clean it and the pocket. Otherwise I find it pretty good.

I keep it clean, and as it is I still like it better than a regular mouse. I was just wondering if there was anything better out there.

I've seen reviews stating that the CST laser-trac has the smoothest trackball movement on the market, but it only comes in the finger type. I prefer the thumb type.