What's new

Best way to generate gears in Alibre Design Expert ?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I see.

The spacing can be checked or determined with the "TrimOffTeeth..." or "PitchCircleFace..." features (Edit Here, Edit in Seperate Window or using part configurations, within the assembly).

Hey, did you know that if you use "Tangent outside" on opposing tooth surfaces ALIBRE ACTUALLY accurately reproduces the action of gears for the duration of actual tooth surface contact.

What will ALIBRE think of next? :mrgreen:

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I need a small expansion of the SpurGear_MAKER calculations. As needed I will probably first make gears from a 3D print service (close enough for prototyping!?).
As I see it, I should have a minimal amount of play / backlash. This is such a great (and Alibre friendly) template I would like this addition but I am no Engineer.

If anyone can post their own MAKER Mod or just the formula changes I will incorporate the change into my personal use modified version.

Attachments

• SpurGear_MAKER backlash.jpg
    SpurGear_MAKER backlash.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 38
  • emachineshop backlash.jpg
    emachineshop backlash.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 71

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I needed simple internal tooth gears for planetary gears so I personalized SpurGear_MAKER further. Everything else out there cost a fortune, has to be exported, imported, copied, pasted and/or otherwise involves a lot of time and processing.
It seems sufficient for my current needs.

A little explanation of my preferences might help.

B C - For a part like this, all Configurations unlocked allows changes such as tooth count to propagate to all configurations. This allows selecting a configuration in an assembly without opening the part to edit.

B - The simple spur gear with variants on the display properties.

C - A simple "internal" tooth variant.

E - The "Equation Editor" is still flakey enough that I avoid direct access as much as I can (it is still SBD). I create a set of planes above the part to update and store what variables I can. It is important to note that in "design explorer" although the name of features are incorrectly grayed out, they are still active and editable as the icons colorization reflects (much as bold and highlighted features are still often in error).

F - These are extra values only used in generating an internal tooth gear.

G - This feature set is active when a simple spur gear is selected in configurations.
If you select a "B, C or D" configuration in section B Configurations, you never need to suppress or unsuppress these features directly (and doing so in this section will mess up configurations).

H - This feature set is active when a simple internal tooth gear is selected in configurations.
If you select a "B, C or D" configuration in section C Configurations, you never need to suppress or unsuppress these features directly (and doing so in this section will mess up configurations).

I - Here you can suppress or unsuppress the feature directly for a "tooth aligned" or "half tooth aligned" key slot. The selection here will reflect in all configurations. I could have moved this section just below section Ffor clarity.

J - Again using "planes" I created a section where you can enter the "radius" from another gear in "Enter 2nd Gear Pitch Radius" and read the result in "Calc 1 and 2 Gears Offset" to determine, or just keep a record of, the axis offsets with another gear. This is a rare occasion, where to read the result, you will need to "edit" "Calc 1 and 2 Gears Offset" and select the "f(x), Equation Editor" to see the answer.

The file is a bit large. But deleting redundant sections, for a new part as an example, actually "increases" the size from 2.59 MB to 8.4 MB :roll: . If you want a smaller part file without configurations or history you can export as a STEP(214) and import to bring it under 1 MB.

Attachments

• _SpurGear_MAKER RCH mod 1.0.jpg
    _SpurGear_MAKER RCH mod 1.0.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 132
  • SpurGear_MAKER RCH mod 1.0.zip
    569.3 KB · Views: 155

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Having a planetary gear assembly I will post it up for "educational" example purposes with explanation.

B - As loaded, you can drag the gears a short distance and observe the gears motion before Alibre loses the relationships. Then you can undo; or close without saving and re-open.

A - Is constraints for the initial alignment of gears.

If you have "Motion 1.x"; you can suppress the constraints in section B; go into motion and by adding and calibrating rotary actuators to each gear; create rotation but not actual simulation.

Pitch circumference appears to be off in about the 5-6th decimal places. For a build I would inspect and correct manually if needed.

Attachments

• Planetary gears Motion.zip
    681 KB · Views: 67
  • _Planetary gears Motion.AD_ASM.jpg
    _Planetary gears Motion.AD_ASM.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Video_2012-05-28_173219.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
RCH_Projects said:
If you have "Motion 1.x"; you can suppress the constraints in section B; go into motion and by adding and calibrating rotary actuators to each gear; create rotation but not actual simulation.

Attachments

• Motion 1.x Video_2012-05-28_175613.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
You have certainly taken this to another level :)

I was intrigued and so tinkered some to try to work out how editing the Plane-like objects in the tree propogated to the EquationEditor ... so gotta ask.

How did you manage to link the likes of EquationEditor "InputPressureAngle" to (what looks like to me to be) an inserted Plane object in the project tree? The linked Plane object has name "Pressure Angle".

Regards,
Norman

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Hi Norman,

Thanks,

It's great to have a real nice platform (SpurGear_Maker) that handles engineering issues that slow me down, to build on.

Tonight I will do a new topic regarding your question titled something like "Banish the Equation Editor".

Deepest respects,

Roger

MKR

Oldbelt said:
Yes mowing gear are possible.
Helical is possible with three sketches in different planes and a loft.
Look here

regards Oldbelt

Do it right first time.

Hi Oldbelt

Just what i needed 8)
Thank you for sharing!

/Michael

fpirz

having a problem generating mating gears

I'm trying to use the SpurGear_MAKER RCH mod 1.0.AD_PRT to generate a pair of mating gears.
for the internal gear, I've set module to .278 and # of teeth to 48 which gives me the desired internal
pitch radius of 6.672 in.
for the external gear, i've set the # of teeth to 12 and then "activated" the simple spur gear.
examining the sketch for the gear I get a pitch radius of 1.668 as expected.
I've used the same module and was expecting a set of gears that would mate.
I made a circular backing plate on which the internal gear is constrained to be aligned
with a hole 6.672 - 1.668 = 5.004 from the center as the shaft location of the spur gear.

what am I doing wrong?

Frank Pirz

Attachments

• gear.mate.png
    gear.mate.png
    265.1 KB · Views: 31
  • dm.gearset.zip
    853.9 KB · Views: 15

drof34

I read in a book that the teeth of an external gear point away from the center while they point to the center on an internal gear.
It may just be my opinion but I believe the tooth FORM of an internal gear should look more like the tooth SPACE on the matching external gear.

Jim

fpirz

Jim
thanks for the comment.
the way this software works (for the internal gear) is to build a tooth for an external gear
and then reflect it around the pitch diameter..
if you download the RCH spur gear example you can examine the sketch profile and
see both the internal and external profiles..

my concern is that they don't mesh, even they have the same module and are located
on the correct (i believe anyway) pitch diameters.. :-(

Frank Pirz

fpirz

Modifying Internal Gears to reduce Interference

Jim's comment got me to thinking about the interference question I posted. So I went in search of some commercial gear designs to see
what I could find out. I located the QTC website
http://www.qtcgears.com/
where you can download .stp models of the KHK gears they rep. BTW the KHK website
http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_techn ... _info.html
has some easy to read guides on gear nomenclature and design.
I downloaded models for si1-60 60 tooth internal gear and kps 1-15 external gear. note the interference, as well as the footnote on QTC's
internal gear web page wrt interference.

So I went back to the two gears I had designed and made changes in the designs. I'm running AD Personal Edition so I can't see the equations
[or I'm not looking in the right place] but I made the following changes to the internal gear generated by SpurGear_MAKER RCH mod 1.0.AD_PRT
with the settings # teeth - 48 and module .278

and to the external gear generated by ParametricHelicalGearwheelTemplate.AD_PRT with the settings
CONTROL_HeliAngle 0, CONTROL_Module 7.06 mm, CONTROL_Numb_teeths 12

While I have yet to cut the gears, they now look like they should mate without interference

Attachments

• interference.png
    interference.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 263
  • internal.png
    internal.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 263
  • external.png
    external.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 263

fpirz

Re: pix of mating gears

Here is a pix of the gears (forum is limited to 3 so I had to put it here)

Attachments

• mating.png
    mating.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 293

Kunkmiester

With the thread necromancy babbling...

Looking this up, this seems to be simpler than some of the other stuff I've found on gear making. Will it be straight compatible with the 2017 version though?

I'm looking at doing some prototyping with 3D printing, and later machining parts off the same models, so I'm only worried about them being compatible with each other.

MKR

If everything else fail, FreeCAD have a build-in involute gear designer.

/Michael

Remo

I know this thread is old. But if someone else, like me, is looking for a way to create spur gears. And thinks about registering to this forum just to download those files. This is not it, look elsewhere! The teeth are formed with an arc instead of an involute. I don't know what this is usable for, but not for 3D printing a proper gear.

KeithH

I know this thread is old. But if someone else, like me, is looking for a way to create spur gears. And thinks about registering to this forum just to download those files. This is not it, look elsewhere! The teeth are formed with an arc instead of an involute. I don't know what this is usable for, but not for 3D printing a proper gear.
Involuted gears are the most common type of gear. Maybe not for watch makers. There may be some issues 3D printing involute gears. 3D printing is not very exacting. An true involute gear does not have hard straight edges with only two angles. there are sites that teach how to adjust involute gear geometry for 3D printers though. They may help you learn how to make them work. The big problem is a 3D printer just is not exact. They are made for prototyping. They work on a file with triangles instead of curves etc. but it can be done

read Wikipedia for involute gears or any of the main gear Manufacturers like khk gears. They have a lot of learning material on their websites related to gears

check this out and you can learn a lot

https://khkgears.net/new/gear_knowledge/

(I had to edit the post to fix the link. Apparently copy paste words better than me typing lol)

Last edited:

Remo

Thank you! But I know all this already. This is a warning for all those coming here to search for an involute gear generator for Alibre. That's all! Since I haven't found anything native on Alibre except the built in functions, that only generate external gears, it looks like I have to create my own, since I also need internal gears. But thanks for the explanation anyways.

KeithH

Also Remo with gears you also have to get the backlash set correctly. If you have no backlash at all your grinding gears even if they are machined