What's new

Blocked constraints

eewoz

This has happened to me more than once. Somehow I get a sketch into a state that it no longer allows constraints. For example, in sketch 3 of the attached file if I draw a circle and a line anywhere in the sketch and try to constrain them with a tangent or midpoint constraint I get an error. I can open a new sketch in the same project, draw a circle and line and then constrain them with no problem. The last time this happened the only way I could find to resolve the issue was to scrap the sketch and start over. I am using Proefssional V26.

1677716136263.png

Attachments

• CH08-Tutorial 1.AD_PRT
    374.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There is a Locked constraint on the circular arc at the top of your image. Select and delete that constraint, apply a vertical constraint between the arc center point and the origin. That should allow the rest of the constraints.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I still think a "List of Constraints" in the Sketch would be helpful. Instances like this is a nice example. I find the Constraint Symbols to be too small and not obvious. Also there are constraints that get applied automatically when sketching and you don't always realize it. If you could Toggle on/off a Constraints List and step down thru them one by one, with affected entities being highlighted as you go, that would be an incredible upgrade.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I find the Constraint Symbols to be too small and not obvious

Jason,

Have you tried altering size of constraint symbols in System Options -> Parts/Assemblies -> Sketching : Sketch constraints size ? Is the largest size

eewoz

There is a Locked constraint on the circular arc at the top of your image. Select and delete that constraint, apply a vertical constraint between the arc center point and the origin. That should allow the rest of the constraints.
Thanks, Harold. That worked. To me it's very bizarre that a Locked constraint can cause constraints to fail anywhere on the drawing, even with parts not at all associated with the constraint. Is there any rhyme or reason to that?

I think I've had similar recently. I've tried putting a parallel constraint on and it's said no, so I've then done a dimension on there and made the angle 0 and it's worked.
Think something somewhere is getting muddled up. Not really looked into it, but if I come across it again I'll add some more information