What's new

BOM Sub-Assemblies help/how to

rralston

I have a new machine completly modeled with many sub assemblies. I have done exploded assembly drawings of all the sub assemblies. To minimize and simplify the BOM for the master assemblies I checked the "treat as part when used as as sub assembly" under file properties, general properties Worked great.
Now I want a BOM of the entire machine in one file but can't get it because of the sub-assembly setting.
Is there some quick, easy way to override the setting to get a master BOM?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - toggle the 'Summary' option in the BoM. That will ignore the 'treat as part when used as sub-assembly' value, hence giving a BoM for purchasing.

rralston

Yes, but I'm looking for a quick way. Currently the model has over 30 separate assemblies and will take a great deal of time to open and uncheck then go back and recheck.
Is there any faster way than that?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello rralston,

here an example:

1651090042235.png

Here the BOM standard with subassemblies "treated as a part":

1651090100371.png

3 parts and 2 sub assemblies on the top level.

now Summary form chosen:

1651090294489.png

the 2 subassemblies "minecraft_rev02" are listed as the parts in them!

That easy it is...

Regards
Stefan

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but I'm looking for a quick way. Currently the model has over 30 separate assemblies and will take a great deal of time to open and uncheck then go back and recheck.
Is there any faster way than that?

You are misunderstanding the advice. The answer is not to change the assembly setting ("treat as part...") and save each one etc. Within an existing BOM, you can toggle whether the summary or long-hand form is displayed as needed with Stefan's example above. This is accomplished in the BOM workspace.

rralston

I repent...you are right it doesn't get any easier than that. We die for lack of knowledge.
Thanks greatly for your help, I'll know from now on.

Trey71105

I currently have the same issue. Even my subassembly components are in my top level BOM but it won't let me toggle from Summary Form. What am I missing?Alibre - Summary BOM.PNG

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you set the 'treat as part ....' setting for each sub-assembly ?? so that sub assemblies appear as a single entry. The Summary option temporarily overrides 'treat as part...' - so allows you to produce a full item list (e.g. for procurement).

Trey71105

I just figured that out from the earlier posts. I honestly never new about this as I rarely have to go to the properties section. I've been struggling with manipulating my BOM's for 5 years now!!! :(