What's new

Bug: STP Selected after STL Export

MarcusWolschon

Just one bug in the last Geomagic version (not switched to Alibre 2017.1 yet):

After exporting to STL, the next time the file format selected by default for export
is not STL but STP. Looks like a simple off-by-on error with 0-based vs. 1-based indexing.

MarcusWolschon

Am I the only one who finds it strange that it doesn't ask for the version number or give the ability to add a (confidential) test-case or screen shots?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Looks like a simple off-by-on error with 0-based vs. 1-based indexing.

Only if the coded list is alphabetical. I've never used GmD so I don't have a clue as to how it works. I don't see that
"bug" in AD 2017.1. Maybe an upgrade would be in your best interest. The last used type seems to be the "next
time" default. And in my way of thinking, that is the most efficient way to have it. (no list surfing)

MarcusWolschon

I'm currently buing a new maintenance contract after being out of maintenance for a while.
Then I'll udate, try again and report back.
The Version I currently still have is 2015.1.1 (64-bit).

I have seen it very often but now that I try to come up with a reproducable test-case it doesn't seem to happen.
I'll keep my eyes open to find out the circumstances.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
There are far too many "last is next time default" items in Alibre.

Notably the directories for each and every separate possible file action are like that. While it can be "efficient" in certain cases, it falls to the ground in cases where a one-time save to a different location is made. Then it can become massively inefficient, when you need to identify where the thing actually went, remove it, and save it where you do want it.

The files should have a "project working directory" that is settable and becomes the default for the project. Saves elsewhere should not affect that.

Standard file types are inherent, models, parts, drawings, etc, and are no issue

In the case of exports, there is no reason to necessarily expect the next to be the same as the last. But the type could default like that so long as the directory does not.

BTW, the last time I used the reporting function, it was so messed up that I have no idea if the report went through. Since I do not seem to have heard anything since, it likely did not.

I am no longer bothering to report bugs etc. I'd rather have the 3DS system back. They never DID anything, but it was easy enough to report things.

Reactions: MKR

MarcusWolschon

I agree.
It happend to me VERY often, that I opened a project and accidentally exported a part into the export-directory of a completely different project.# One that I happend to have worked on 2 days earlier.
However that is different topic.

Reactions: MKR

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
JST - simplest way to report a bug, submit a question etc. is to e-mail support@alibre.com ; you are not forced to use the Support Center on the web site. It ends up in the same system regardless of which method you use to submit it.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
There are far too many "last is next time default" items in Alibre.

Yeah, but I meant that for the issue that Marcus described. "last is next time default" is not *always* the answer.
If you are in the business of exporting STL's to a printer queue, then I would now want to have to scroll down the list
every time, for every file, just to set the export format. Let default to what you *were* using. If it is wrong then you
*have to* scroll anyway.

I'd rather have the 3DS system back. They never DID anything, but it was easy enough to report things.

When I thought I was upgrading "Alibre Design" and it turned out to be GmD Design the first thing I noticed was
that there was less to the program than before. Like for example the long list of export options. So personally, I don't want to have *anything* to do with 3DS. Let them stick to building jet fighters.(Dassault Group)

OK. I'm putting the soapbox back in the closet now.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Support centre works for me though I agree there should be something like a signature where we can put our program version and OS that gets attached automatically.

JST

Alibre Super User
Bigseb....

Same result either way. I reported stuff to 3DS, they did nothing. Here, I had all sorts of trouble with the reporting, and it apparently did not work... Consequently Alibre LLC will not do anything either......

So if nothing is going to happen either way, at least with one of the systems the report is easier to do.... I don't want 3DS, just their reporting system.

I'll just email support in future. Now, if I could just remember what the 5 different items all were...... I didn't take notes, first time because I was reporting it, and that was the notes.... next 4 because it did not seem to matter.

ONCE I did get it to work, and got a reply. That would be #1 of 6.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I don't think I am understanding you, JST. Are you saying it is difficult to report faults to Alibre?

I have reported a couple of things. Via email. I get a response within hours at the most. Not seeing the difficulty.

JST

Alibre Super User
Perhaps it has changed. This was way back close to the time of the announcement of transfer.

When I tried it back then, I had a very hard time with it, it did not seem to think I SHOULD do a report, I seem to recall that the button I needed to push did not get me the result it appeared to say it should, and various other issues just navigating to the page needed.

Maybe these were related to the same sort of problem that was right here on the forum in terms of staying logged-in. I do not know, except that the one time that I succeeded, it was by accident, and I do not know how I finally got to the page I needed.

MarcusWolschon

I just noticed how this may be just bad perception on my part.
I often open parts to make small changes, export them (so I can machine an improved revision of that part) and close Alibre again.
STP is the top-most export format and while it does remember the last export-format as long as it's running,
it doesn't to so across restarts.