What's new

CAM Software

PAndrade

I've been using Meshcam off and on for awhile now, more off than on, and when it works its good and when not very frustrating.
I'm just curious as to what everyone else is using and would recommend for CAM software.

I also use Vectric software for some projects and always have good results but I want to use Alibre as well for certain projects.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've been using Meshcam off and on for awhile now, more off than on, and when it works its good and when not very frustrating.
I'm just curious as to what everyone else is using and would recommend for CAM software.

I also use Vectric software for some projects and always have good results but I want to use Alibre as well for certain projects.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

I use CamBam.

I find its user interface to be not very intuitive and a pain to learn. It lacks the advanced machining operations I was spoiled to with HSM and FusionCAM.

That said, once you learn to use it and get the right plugins, it's surprisingly capable.

PAndrade

I agree with you Ken. I've been struggling to get something to work and finally figured it out.
I have money and time invested in this product and hate to give up, guess I'm stubborn.

Thank you for your reply..

ps - love the memorial to Kaiser!!

Peter

jfleming

Alibre Super User
We just upgraded to EdgeCAM from BobCAD here. Its expensive but will get us where we need to be eventually, with the seemingly increased lack of skilled machinists in the industry.

BobCAD works fine and they are always willing to deal on pricing. They dropped their pants for us very often, so to speak.

PAndrade

Not knowing what the price might be for EdgeCam its probably too expensive for a retiree and hobbyist...
Thank you for your reply and I will check it out..

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I agree with you Ken. I've been struggling to get something to work and finally figured it out.
I have money and time invested in this product and hate to give up, guess I'm stubborn.

Thank you for your reply..

ps - love the memorial to Kaiser!!

Peter

The wife got me a German Shepherd puppy 6 years ago. She named him after Kaiser, and camp Kaiser, Vietnam.

We had a friend and former coworker who died years ago, ate up with several cancers from agent orange, was stationed there.

Six years ago, the day she brought him home.

A couple weeks ago, posted up, where he waits every day at 3pm, when it's time for me to get home from work.

Last edited:

PAndrade

Very Nice!!
I served with the Army 82nd Airborne from 68 -70.. Never got deployed to Vietnam, guess I was lucky...

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Very Nice!!
I served with the Army 82nd Airborne from 68 -70.. Never got deployed to Vietnam, guess I was lucky...
Very cool! I had an uncle who was a paratrooper with the 82nd, during the Korean war. Passed away in the early 90s.

I was with the 3rd Bde, 3rd ID from 95 to 99.

kiwiavi

I use sheetcam. It is excellent and Les keeps it very up to date. The name should be changed. it is full cnc package with tool libary etc. i use it daily. It even downloads to your machine. Has 100s of post processors.

At 110 Pounds it is a bragin.

Last edited:

cadtec

Maybe SimplexCAM V5 3D would be an alternative?
We have just finished a direct interface from Alibre PRO/EXP to SimplexCAM V5.
The programme is multilingual and installs itself in German first.
You can set the language in the menu under Bearbeiten -> Einstellungen -> Sprache

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Maybe SimplexCAM V5 3D would be an alternative?
It's better put the English option's link

H.C

mmm, Alibre & CAM not sure... :)
my cam has 15 CAD addons include Alibre, guess what... Alibre is the only one that doesn't work!!! (don't recognize it's on your pc)
yes i know, it isn't Alibre fault...but still...
good the Rhino plugin works like a charme with the alibre .step files.

PAndrade

CadTec seems like a good product but when on their website even though I selected the English translation on one of the pages it reverted back to their home language.
Very confusing...

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yea, I noticed that too.

But, it looks good and the price is right. I'm going to give the trial download a shot and see how it goes.

I'm curious as to how their licensing works. Similar to Alibre, needing maintenance for updates? And what is the cost of the maintenance?

cadtec

You buy the software including one year of updates within the version level.
Problems and questions are dealt with via our ticket system.
You can work with it as long as you want.
As soon as an update to the next higher version is available, you can buy an update.
Next week we will upload the direct interface Alibre -> SimplexCAM...