What's new

Can You Apply Images and Graphics to 3D Parts and Drawings?

LightBry

I am looking to add graphics on a few of my 3D parts to located and display where I would like some laser etching done. Is it possible to import an image and add it to a surface of a 3D part?

batejosh

I think your best bet is to convert the image to a DXF, scale the lines, then copy them out and paste them onto part/drawing as you require. Perhaps this website may work for you? I haven't used it before. You may want to add pictures of what you're trying to achieve.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Welcome to the forum LibhtBry.

Is this something you may be able to use. It isn't really graphics but you may get some ideas from it. As you can see, I drew up the "graphic" from 3 pieces to form the "label".

Attachments

• Label Example.AD_ASM
    221.5 KB · Views: 21

LightBry

Welcome to the forum LibhtBry.

Is this something you may be able to use. It isn't really graphics but you may get some ideas from it. As you can see, I drew up the "graphic" from 3 pieces to form the "label".

This is only the ASM file. I would need to part files as well to open it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I am looking to add graphics on a few of my 3D parts to located and display where I would like some laser etching done. Is it possible to import an image and add it to a surface of a 3D part?
If you mean is it possible to import an image into AD and convert it dxf for engraving, then no.

If you mean is it possible to import an image into AD and add it to a 3D model as a visual representation, then no.

You can however import the image into the drawing workspace, trace it manually, copy the traced geometry, open a part workspace, create a sketch, paste the geometry into the sketch, extrude the sketch, scale it to the correct size, save it as a part then boolean unite/subtract this part from your original 3D part to depict the engraving. Easy peasy.

Willis123

If you are just interested in what the graphics will look like, you can render your part(s) in Keyshot and add your graphics as a decal. Easier peasier!

lamar

I have put decals onto parts and assembles already in the past, I do not remember the posses but it did look like the real thing.
when I get time I will look at my old file a see if I can find it.
not sure if this is what you want to accomplish or not.

oldfox

Alibre Super User

Attachments

• Curved Label Grid.AD_PRT
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Label - Red.AD_PRT
    275.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Label - White.AD_PRT
    262 KB · Views: 7

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Oldfox - Creating a 'Package' from the assembly workspace is a convenient way to bundle all the required files together in a single file, it's also easier at the receiving end as any 're-linking' is done automatically.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
David, I've never used 'Package'. I did look at it for this post but I was in a hurry and I didn't want to go through all of that 'help' stuff
at the time. I'll go back to it and learn how to get me some "Package Goods".:D