What's new

Chamfer Tool Behaviour

Nick952

Just drawn a simple Spring Pin and using the Chamfer Tool - Angle Distance, to place a 30deg chamfer on each end, but this results in a 30deg on the first edge and a 60deg on the second edge. If I want a 30deg on the second edge, I have to create a second chamfer operation.

Just wondering if this is the Chamfer Tool working as intended, before I submit a ticket.

Roll Pin.jpg

Attachments

• 2mm Short Roll Pin.AD_PKG
    42.2 KB · Views: 6

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It's always done that behaviour. Trouble is, that there is currently no way to specify which of the edges is the 'reference' to which the angle is applied. The first selected doesn't seem to do it!

Nick952

Thanks for the quick response guys.
I'll think about submitting a ticket, just to maybe, get it added to the developers ever growing list of things to do.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the quick response guys.
I'll think about submitting a ticket, just to maybe, get it added to the developers ever growing list of things to do.
By all means do that. You won't be the first though.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That's normal. The flip also affects all edges. Needs an overhaul, along with other things.
Just noticed that with the edges of both ends selected the chamfer is opposite on each end. Flipping does no good at all in this case unless only one edge is selected at a time, meaning multiple chamfer ops in the Design Explorer.

It would be a great advantage to productivity if the user could select an edge from the list and flip only that one. Then you could go thru the list and selectively flip only those edges that need it.

Another great enhancement would be to select from the list and apply a different value to the chamfer and flip if necessary. This could be a great feature of the Fillet tool also, except no flipping is required with it.

I sometimes wonder if, in the rush to implement a "new" feature, the programmers overlook the potential uses of the tools they are programming or even take into account how the tool may be used.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just noticed that with the edges of both ends selected the chamfer is opposite on each end. Flipping does no good at all in this case unless only one edge is selected at a time, meaning multiple chamfer ops in the Design Explorer.

That's what I meant by flipping affects all edges i.e. you can't select one edge and flip only that edge.