What's new

Chamfering a hole on the side of a cylinder

RwSkinner

I have a round cylinder, that has a cross drilled hole in it. When I chamfer that hole, it's an even chamfer all the way around, and if I used a 5 axis machine.
I need to represent the fish eye chamfer, meaning the lower edges are barely broke, but the higher edges have a larger chamfer.

IOW, like if you just plunged a 45 Deg. chamfer tool down into a cross drilled hole, on a cylinder.
Is this possible, or will I need to make a taper hole wit the hole tool, or create a shape and extrude the material out?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Create a plane tangent to the cylinder then use the hole tool to create the chamfered hole on that tangent plane.

ynnek

A method I found that works is to make a square "shaft", let's call it 1.000 inches. Place the hole here I need it. I then apply the chamfer. Next, next I apply a 0.500 radius to all corners. Works every time.

Attachments

• Square Shaft Test.AD_PRT
    313.5 KB · Views: 5

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I do these as close as I can to the way an actual chamfer mill would cut the feature.

A sketch, and then a revolve cut gives a good simulation of the way a chamfer mill would cut it on a milling machine.

1665787717171.png

Attachments

• Chamfer.AD_PRT
    317.5 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A method I found that works is to make a square "shaft", let's call it 1.000 inches. Place the hole here I need it. I then apply the chamfer. Next, next I apply a 0.500 radius to all corners. Works every time.
I do these as close as I can to the way an actual chamfer mill would cut the feature.

A sketch, and then a revolve cut gives a good simulation of the way a chamfer mill would cut it on a milling machine.

View attachment 37440

Either way seems like a lot of extra work when you can define the hole AND the chamfer with a Plane and the Hole Tool.
Just sayin'.

1665788244506.png

Last edited: