What's new

Change Object Orientation

jl33

Is it possible to change the object orientation (make a different face the top/left/right/bottom)? I imported an object into Alibre, and it is upside down from the way I want it. So when I hit the Isometric view button, I think have to rotate the image manually to face the correct way.

See image for an example of what I'm asking.

Attachments

• alibre_change_orientation.jpg
    alibre_change_orientation.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 25

simonb65

Alibre Super User
You can't rotate a part orientation once its created, but there are a number of Isometric view options ...

upload_2021-2-11_22-56-29.png

... or you can create your own views using 'Manage Orientations', and when you view or convert to a drawing, you can just recall your custom orientation ...

upload_2021-2-11_23-0-30.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Or

save your import as a AD_PRT.
Open an assembly and add the AD_PRT
Rotate and place as desired using constraints
Re-export as step and close the assembly window
Import this new step file and all will be well

And, since you're new here, a tip: do a 'check part' on your original import. A dodgy file can cause a lot headaches later on.

Capture.JPG

jl33

Thank you both. I'm still trying to learn Alibre and had to convert an STL into a .step file using FreeCAD, and then import that into Alibre and it imported upside down.

jl33

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Looks like you have Atom 3D and it may not have Orientations.

Try using the menu -- Press Alt to see if the menu appears along the top just below the ribbon. Select menu View and see if Orientations is there. OR press Ctrl+U.

If that doesn't work then Orientations is not in Atom 3D.

jl33

Looks like you have Atom 3D and it may not have Orientations.

Try using the menu -- Press Alt to see if the menu appears along the top just below the ribbon. Select menu View and see if Orientations is there. OR press Ctrl+U.

If that doesn't work then Orientations is not in Atom 3D.

No luck. Alt doesn't make anything extra appear. And I do have Atom3D

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Well, according to the Feature Comparison page Detailed tab you should have some menus. Look in the System Options to see if there is an option to Hide the menus.

This is from Alibre Design Expert but Atom should have something similar.

ADSysOpts.png

jl33

Somebody designing that didn't realize a checkmark is still a checkmark even when it's gray. Either way that comparison page is too much marketing fluff and not enough facts for engineers and designers to base decisions on.

I agree. I'm beginning to think that Alibre Atom3D isn't the software I'm looking for. I may just stick with FreeCAD

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Somebody designing that didn't realize a checkmark is still a checkmark even when it's gray. Either way that comparison page is too much marketing fluff and not enough facts for engineers and designers to base decisions on.
IF Alibre wants engineers and designers to base a buying decision based on the marketing fluff on a web page they'd better get it right. This isn't the first flub I've found on the web site touting Alibre's features that had to be corrected.