What's new

Change the sketch plane?

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Is there a way to change the plane or face on which a sketch is drawn? If there isn't could that feature please be added to the wish list?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can copy the base feature sketch to a new plane, OR as has been suggested elswhere on the forum and that is to creaae a new plane for each .feature. Then when/if you need to move or rotate the sketch just edit the position of and/or rotation of the new plane.

PaulProe

I was looking for a similar solution, hoping you could select the plane the sketch is on and just change it to another. Not to be.

I've found the simplest way is to open the sketch, highlight all and cut/copy. Then open a sketch on the plane you want to use and paste. Not quite as fast but it works pretty good.

Paul

bigseb

Alibre Super User
It is already on the suggestion list.

In the meantime, create a plane for each sketch. Take a few clicks. This sketch can then moved and rotated to your heart's content.

neilr

Not sure if I am understanding the reason for this but from the responses I am wondering if just saving the feature and then inserting in to the part. This gives you the sketch on any plane you want as many times as you want.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Creating new planes for all/most sketches may be good form, but is usually unnecessary in most of the work I do. Often times, I want to change the sketch plane to make use an assembly more convenient. Copy the sketch from one plane to another may work but seems like a potentially messy work-around, especially if other geometry built up from an extrusion of the moved sketch fail.

IAC, BigSeb says it is already on the suggestion list, so that's good. Is that list located somewhere public and can users vote up the suggestion?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Yes, click on the suggest a feature from the forum front page, all the suggestions are there and can be voted on, commented on etc.