What's new

Change to Apple a good idea?

pridbor

I'm getting to a point where I need to upgrade my PC and am considering going to a MAC instead.

Is it possible to run Alibre on a Mac? I don't recall any posts to this extent and searching didn't reveal any answers.

Please advise

Thanks

Preben

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There's been a few discussions about running Alibre on a Mac Book.
Search only on "apple" and a few threads show up.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'm getting to a point where I need to upgrade my PC and am considering going to a MAC instead.
Be prepared to replace it every couple of years as Apple make its OS updates very limited to the age of the hardware! Don't ask me how I know, but I have an iMac 2007 sat on the end of my desk as a paperweight, even though it's a better hardware spec than some of my later development machines, it's only got Snow Leopard (2009) on it because anything later isn't compatible ... according to Apple!

Hunter

Is it possible to run Alibre on a Mac? I don't recall any posts to this extent and searching didn't reveal any answers.

Please advise

Thanks

Preben
Obviously only if you install Windows on your Apple, or run something like Parallels. With the money you're willing to spend on a Mac you might as well just get a top spec Dell, HP or Asus.

Killiwatt

Please advise

Thanks

Preben
I've been running Alibre Expert on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro for a few years now with no issues. Of course I use it with Parallels. Do I wish it ran natively on Mac? You bet but I can understand how it just isn't feasible for a small company like Alibre to maintain two complete versions for the two different operating systems. I loathe Windows passionately but am forced to own a half dozen of them for my CNC machines. I just keep them dumb and make them do only one thing at a time and keep them offline at all times to avoid upgrades and they work well under those circumstances.
Hope this helps.

pridbor

My primary purpose for going to MacBook was/is that I have always heard that its display/graphics are superior to those of the PC/windows.

I was/am contemplating using it for photo editing predominantly, and I wanted to find out if I could also use it for Alibre. I have a reasonable powerful PC workstation I use for Alibre and everything else for the time being.

Thanks for your feedback

Preben

domcm

Note that if you run Parallels on the newer Macs with Apple Silicon chips (M1, M2, etc.), Parallels only supports the Windows ARM version which Alibre does not officially support. Other users have reported that Alibre runs under Windows ARM but if you search the forum you will see there have been some issues in the past and there is no guarantee that there won't be issues in the future.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have always heard that its display/graphics are superior to those of the PC/windows.
Not necessarily the case. A good high resolution IPS OLED display on a PC is just as good, if not better. Apples 'retina' displays are just a hyped marketing term (the human eye is the limiting factor on resolution, not the display!). Many LCD panels in Apple devices are made by Samsung and are just mid/high end, sold on as high value items. On a PC you get to choose the quality/resolution/type of display you want/need, that's the only difference.

If you're using for photo editing, get yourself a good monitor colour matching calibrator, that's more important for photo editing.

I wouldn't change the universe. Besides that everything, starting from the machine, the user interface concepts, the licensing concepts, is all different. The community you ask for advice is different, It is more the artist type of people and professions, whereas Windows is rather tech people.
I can recommend a 4k Display from Dell by the way. I have it even on my notebook. It is awesome.