What's new

Circle placement

GordonL

This has me frustrated. I want to sketch a circle, not on a given point. I can draw the circle and I can specify the diameter but nothing else. Now I want it to be X and Y dimensions from a given point. I can go to the dimension tool and enter the dimensions but it is a constant matter of chasing my tail. If the point is too near to the reference point the proper dimension is difficult to activate. I choose the center of the circle and the reference point and it will present me with horizontal distance or vertical distance or center to center but it is difficult to display the one I actually want. For instance this is especially difficult if I want to specify X=0 and on the sketch X is 1/32" away and Y is 3" away. Trying to get X entry box to show is difficult. Is there any way to pick two points and just enter X and Y? So far I have made sure that I place the circle far enough away that displaying X will show up but it still is a matter of mouseing around until I get the proper entry box. Someone told me that I could activate ordinate dimensioning but I cannot get that to work. I am using Atom3D.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just zoom in and out until the centre point and its reference point are in workable view then dimension. repeat for the other axis!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
You should consider using a constraint.

Let's say you have 2 nodes, the origin for example and your circle centerpoint. You want your circle centerpoint to be at (3,0).

A Y value of 0 means your centerpoint is directly horizontal from the origin, so apply a horizontal constraint between the origin and the centerpoint. Then you only have to worry about the 3 dimension.

Generally when things are directly left/right or up/down from other things, you should use a horizontal or vertical constraint to achieve the definition instead of a 0 value dimension.

In cases where dimensions are not zero but are close to zero, you should just zoom in as Simon suggests above.

GordonL

I had not thought about using the constraint but what happens if I actually want Y=1/32?

I have been zooming in but if the one point is too close and the other point is quite a ways away it is still hard to display the proper input box because Y is only displayed 1/32 away and X is displayed 3" away. I am chasing the dimensions around until I finally get the right one. So far I have been sure to place Y far enough away that the input box will show up.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have been zooming in but if the one point is too close and the other point is quite a ways away it is still hard to display the proper input box because Y is only displayed 1/32 away and X is displayed 3" away. I am chasing the dimensions around until I finally get the right one. So far I have been sure to place Y far enough away that the input box will show up.
Just grab the circle and position it (mouse drag) somewhere in the Y direction to a place where you can see and work on it, then dimension it.