What's new

Colorblind?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
If you're colorblind and willing to give feedback on some colorblind-friendly changes we're considering, pls let me know. :D

Ken226

Alibre Super User
There are very few people who are truly colorblind. Most have some amount of red/green and, or blue/yellow deficiency.

I have some red/green deficiency as well. Happy to help out any way I can.

But, I'm honestly finding the visuals to be quite good as-is.

Last edited:

SP_de

Red / Green problems here also, as about 8% -9% (!) percent of people.
Problem is to distinguish red and grenn if they are close together, or if a Sign / Symbol / Icon is shown sometimes in Red and then in Green. Simply don't recognize it. So somtimes "warnings" and "statuses" are not recognized by me. Wisch ther would be different geomtries for differrent states or different colors which are easier to distingish.
Side note: Driving a car cause no problem.. The light on top is red, the light on the bottom is green. But running a railroad engine would be desaterous, in Railroad (at least here in Germany) there is one light that switches from green to red... thats why I stay on the road.

BR
Stefan

SP_de

Hi Ralf,
thanks a lot for that did not know. Since I am still on Windows 10 I test it there and will eport back.
Thanks a lot and BR
Stefan

I am red-green color blind and find the color combinations used in Alibre a challenge. I am a daily user and happy to give feedback.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the readiness to help!

Overview of this project:
Over the next 2 releases, we will be migrating all icons and dialogs to be SVG (vector) based instead of image based. This will result in AD having an entirely different, yet familiar look and feel. Streamlining and consistency in the UI is a top priority. However, we get some cool side benefits to this project. One is that all icons will look very crisp at all times on every resolution. Another is that we can programmatically change the colors in the icons based on the color scheme selected by the end user. So for example, a color scheme for red-limited vision would go into each icon and replace the red with a yellow, perhaps.

Timeline
Phase 1 of this project should ship next release, which is the SVG-ification of the icons. We will be creating several (?) new color schemes specifically for colorblind folks.

When we have the basic icon work done and the icons are able to be changed via color schemes, I will reach back out here because then I will have something to show you. This is perhaps 4-6 weeks out. We can discuss whether we need multiple color palettes based on different kinds of colorblindness, or whether a common colorblind palette is sufficient.

Some research I've been looking at:

Examples
This is an example (that is probably not very good) of how we might map our new regular/muted colors which all the icons will be from (top) to a colorblind palette (bottom). Just a quick first take, and it's quite possible the mapping below results in total nonsense visually, but until I can see the final icons with the new mapping it's hard to tell. What is more important here is whether you can easily distinguish between all the colors in the bottom color palette.

1656613784337.png

How you can help right now
If you happen to have examples of good color palettes for your specific flavor of colorblindness that you can very easily distinguish, please post a link to it as well as describe which flavor of colorblindess you have.

See you guys in a few weeks :D

jfleming

Alibre Super User
For the bottom pallette, it would be interesting to see them at only several pixels lineweight for a more accurate representation of how they might appear in the workspace. The "yellow" and the "gold" in the "regular" color are very close for me.

Old Geeser

I am black/red color blind and have some trouble with the present color scheme. I did change the "completely constrained" color from black to blue. I am new to Alibre so some of the issue is unfamiliarity and will improve as I learn. All the colors in the above message appear very distinctive to me (the 1st and 3rd are better with the third best). If there is any way I can help just let me know.

Toybuilder

If you're colorblind and willing to give feedback on some colorblind-friendly changes we're considering, pls let me know. :D
Not directly related, but has the supressed/hidden text label grey a lighter shade than before in V25? For some reason, I feel like I can't read the text as well as I used to before.