What's new

commas?

Jim Brown

Atom3D V24

Another odd question that I can't find an answer to... Can I have dimensioning replace the decimal points with commas?

IE: 1.24 to 1,24 (So it reads '1 and 240 microns", not "1 point 24 millimeters.")

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you want comma you'll have to adjust the decimal separator on Windows regional settings. Drawings to ISO standards should use the comma.

Not sure why changing to comma would change how the measurement is interpreted. If you want 1,240 to appear instead of 1,24 change the precision setting in the design.

Jim Brown

It changes how it's spoken.. 1.24mm is "one point two four millimeters", (American slang) 1,24 is "one and two hundred and forty microns" (ISO)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
And in most of Europe the comma is used as the symbol for 'point'. ISO drawing standard also demand its use for 'point'.

In much of the world, there would be no change in how the dimension is spoken.

Don't get me wrong, I've actually requested an option to force use of comma for point in drawings , independent of the regional settings of the computer. So UK or US based peopel can easily produce drawings to ISO standards.

idslk

Alibre Super User
As David said, it is a matter of system preferences.
I'm running on windows with "normal" preferences for Germany (Seperator for thousands is point and seperator for dezimals is comma)
1655389849049.png

and i get this in Alibre:

1655389963317.png

if i change the settings under windoes preferences to (Seperator for thousand to comma and seperator for decimals to point:
1655389759431.png

, i get this in Alibre:
1655389777278.png

Regards
Stefan